Line size and color

• Savage Brewer
    Savage, MN

Two questions here, mostly because my eyesight has gotten worse over time and it wont be getting any better, so the days of me using 2# clear line is pretty much over.

First is about color, do you think line color spooks the fish or turns them off in any way? If I use a colored line it makes it easier to identify what line is on which reel and also makes it way easier to tie. 4# clear is tough to work with but I can tie down to 3# if its solar green or neon orange.

Second is about size, I mostly fish for panfish, perch walleye and pike.
    What are you guys(gals) running for line weight? I currently use 3# for tiny jigs, 6# as a all around line and the 8# on my heavy rod for pike and working larger baits.

Thanks

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

I’ve been using colored line for what seems like forever now. I’ve never noticed a difference in catch rate vs clear line. I use 3lb Suffix in orange for panfish and 6-8 for walleye. For pike I’ll bump up to Suffix 832 braid with a 14lb florocarbon leader.

jld
    Holmen

Same here. Using the orange 3 lb Suffix 832 with a tiny swivel and running an 18-24″ clear 3 lb leader for my panfish set ups.

curleytail

I’ve been using colored line for over 20 years, starting with the original yellow Stren. Never seems to be a problem with panfish, even in clear water. I’ve used the neon green Trilene ice line, and lately been experimenting with some of the copolymer lines.

In 4 to 6 pound for walleyes I have used clear line because I can manage it. For panfish I exclusively use 2 pound colored line and have very few days I can’t get panfish to bite.

Tucker

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.