Line questions……lead core and braid.

• Al Case

I need to put some line on some new reels. I will be putting braid on my jig spinning reel and also on my drop shot spinning reel. I will use fluoro leaders. Any suggestions on what lb test for each of these reels.
    I will also be putting lead core (Suffix Advanced Lead Core) on my new line counters. I presently have 12 lb Suffix Advanced Lead Core on my line counters. It seems that most posts I see from those who use Suffix Advanced Lead Core are using 18 lb. Should I stick with 12 lb or go to 18 lb? I will mostly fish for walleyes with the line counters but will also use them for lake trout and salmon.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Al

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I run Suffix 832 6 or 8 lbs diameter braid on my spinning rods, and 832 18 lbs Lead on my trolling setups. I’ve been happy w/ both.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I’ve only into my third season of lead core, using it on Lake Michigan almost exclusively…. I use the 18#. Diameter is really close, so I figured why not. The mono I run between the braid and lead I think is 20-30# (attaching boards as I don’t have the clips for braid). I just ordered my second spool of lead, as I broke the first one into 5-3-2 reels. Going to spool up another 3, and then save the rest for either two more, or possibly a 7 color.

I’m not yet into the really deep summer thing, so this is working really well for cohos and such. I’ve had a couple reel rippin Kings on and never yet had a problem. I use an off-brand 50# KastKing braided line for backing as I get a 1000yd spool for like $35. Make sure to run a small, high quality bearing swivel in front of the leader. I run a second one in front of the spoons and such as well. Never realized how much those fish spin so I wanted to protect the lead line.

I use the 20series Convector reels for mono, walleye and trolling cranks even on the big lake early in the season, but went up to the 30’s for lead. There’s room for a lot more backing that I found is needed, plus the space for lead, swivel and a little heavier drag. The 20s I think would have been way too small.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I run the same as BigWerm. 6-8lb 832 for smallmouths and walleyes. 18lb sufix advanced leadcore for trolling.

Al Case

Thanks for your help, guys. Looks like I’m going Suffix 832 6 and 8 and Suffix Advanced Lead Core 18 lb. I was leaning that way, but needed some input. I appreciate it.
    Al

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

On your spinning reel, you must put on some mono
    backing on the spool then braid. The mono sticks to
    the spool, if you don’t use the mono, the braid will
    slip around your spool hub too easily.
    You can use backing all the way up to only needing
    40- 50 yards of braid.
    Jack

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

I use braid tied to the spool and simply put my first turn under the little clip that is on the side of the spool. This prevents the line from spinning on the spool. It uses more braid, but then I don’t have 1/2 spools of braid lying around. Just an idea.

Ny
    N Metro

so when you guys are saying 6-8 pound diameter, are you saying your using between 20-30 pound test?

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

They mean 6-8lb test, that is all you need on your spinning rigs for Walters.

Ny
    N Metro

That is what I thought, thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.