Line for walleye trolling

• Musky Ed

Mainly troll for salmon now, and have pretty much just jig or crankbait fished for walleye, except when going to LOW at a friends place, and there we either jig fished, or trolled flicker shads. Equipment used,line counters, with 15# power pro and leader. Have two setups now, with 15# power pro, and would like to add a few more as I have a place in Sturgeon Bay, and there is some great walleye fishing there. These adltional setups would be used strictly for pulling cranks, and nightcrawler harnesses in the Sturgeon bay, Green Bay waters. Question is, Power Pro, 10# XT, or 12# big game. I would like one combination that will work for both. Rods and reels I can handle, just would like to hear thoughts on line from people that do this alot.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I have used Big Game for years and years with no issues. I recently changed to Cajun Red for no real reason other than I liked the color of line on the color of my reel. Lol. I’m liking this line a lot too. It seems to be thinner and more limp than Big Game.

David Blais

I use 10 lb suffix 832. The precision trolling data goes off 10 lb braid. Or 10 lb xt

Musky Ed

Also, is it possible to pull extra crawler harneses with boards, or would you just string a couple out straight back, then two extra rods out to the side?

sktrwx2200

I would stick with the power pro, great with the app. and great for watching for weeds or fouled plug. You can use Inline weights and boards for multiple lines while running harnesses (lots of experimenting needed here). You can also use Long trolling rods out the side and shorts out the back for spacing. Or you can use 3 or 4 oz. bouncers in the bow of the boat and use 1.5-2 oz out the back.

Musky Ed

Thanks for the suggestions, pretty much what I figured. I’m on my way in for cataract surgery now, so won’t be able to check in for a few days.

Musky Ed

Just got out of surgery. Went smoother than my first eye.

sktrwx2200

Back in the boat by this evening then? haha

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I have power pro and spider wire on my line counters, 17 to 25 pound as I remember.

Musky Ed

Thanks to everyone, looks as though I was ok with my origonal thinking. I have fished walleye on and off, for years, just never with crawler harneses, and was just trying to get some opinions from those that had, so I could add another technique to fish with. By the way, I also have caught walleye over 28.5″, but one thing I know for sure is that catching a nice walleye with one style of fishing, or lure is somewhat meaningless. Also good news this morning, yesterdays cataract surgery checked out at 20/20 at this mornings checkup. Other eye done, not so good.

Yellow Fever
    Kingston Ontario

Are you using the PTD app? If so try and stick with compatible lines, fishing the Great Lakes i am using 30lb braid which has the diameter of 10 lb mono.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.