Line Counters in Current

• Mike Otis

So I’ve been doing a lot of reading about line counters/trolling because I want to improve my trolling approach and be more consistent. The precision trolling app seems helpful, but would current make it useless?

Do any of you use line counters, and if so, does current factor into the dive depth?

On the other hand, if I view current as just additional boat speed, it seems like current shouldn’t make a significant impact on dive depth. A little impact of course, but not enough to worry about.

Thanks,
    Mike

riverdewey
    St. Paul, MN

I think you are on the right track in your thinking. Current has to be viewed as either adding to or subtracting from boat speed. It would have little effect on dive depth unless you are using lead core, 50/50 weights, etc. The app or the book is a good way to get a very good idea of how deep your crankbait is running.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I think you are on the right track in your thinking. Current has to be viewed as either adding to or subtracting from boat speed. It would have little effect on dive depth unless you are using lead core, 50/50 weights, etc. The app or the book is a good way to get a very good idea of how deep your crankbait is running.

Yes.
    Estimate the current speed. When going up stream add to boat speed, when with current subtract from boat speed.

The impact varies greatly depending on the method of achieving depth.

I’ve often used my leadcore dive charts to guess the current speed, using bottom contact and feet of line out, then looking at the chart to determine speed.

You can find my custom leadcore charts downloadable on ido as an example.

In current what you often want to pay attention to is the speed of the lure. If catching fish in 1 mph current traveling downstream at a GPS of 3 mph your lure is acting as if it is going 2mph. To replicate this speed going upstream you’ll want to go 1mph upstream to achieve the same 2mph action.

Mike Otis

Thanks guys, this is very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to get back to me.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

These guys nailed it and are all probably better sticks than myself. I operate on the KISS acronym of keeping it simple so that whoever is my guest can replicate what I’m doing with my rods.

The easiest way for me to figure out current speed to calculate the net speed of my offering is to first drift in the boat and watch my GPS.

This strategy does NOT work when you have a substantial wind blowing either with or against the current which is common on Pool 4 and 5 in the summer. In that case, I just go ahead and operate on feel. I put out one line until I am occasionally bumping bottom at a given speed, and then either adjust my speed (faster brings it up, slower allows it to run deeper in most applications), or reel in a bit of line and note my line counter position. I have a buddy who has a small old dry erase board he leaves by his windshield to make notes (back in the tournament days).

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

On my lowrance, one of the overlay options is speed through water or speed over ground. You can add a paddlewheel to your graph to get a speed through water data. But, I just do some mental math to figure it out personally. Just drift with the current to get an idea of how fast you’re going without any assistance from a trolling motor or kicker. Then add your desired speed if you’re traveling with the current, or subtract the current from your desired speed to travel into the current.

Like bucky said, the wind can prevent this from working. Best way is to pull your cranks at 2mph, then get a feel for what the rod does and then go for the same feeling in the current.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

IMHO if you are trolling less than 15’ of water you don’t need much precision. On bodies like the St Croix where you are in 30’ it’s a different ballgame.

My very simple rule of thumb for shad style baits:

-6 to 8’ of water…run a #5
    -8 to 12’ of water…run a #6
    -12 to 15’ of water…run a #8

Let out line til you intermittently bang bottom.

This is mainly pool 2 where you are rarely deeper than 15’. I try not to overthink trolling and cover water…been pretty successful for me but the advice on here is very good.

Mike Otis

Much appreciated guys, these river systems have some of the best anglers around. Heck of a good group.

Corey Cook

Mike,
    Matt is right on! Line counters are typically used in open water applications or in a lead core scenario. When your in water 15 feet or less there is typically no need. On the river most of the trolling is 10 ft or less and I’m using spinning rods. Give it a toss behind the boat and adjust as needed.

dirtywater

IMHO if you are trolling less than 15’ of water you don’t need much precision. On bodies like the St Croix where you are in 30’ it’s a different ballgame.

My very simple rule of thumb for shad style baits:

-6 to 8’ of water…run a #5
    -8 to 12’ of water…run a #6
    -12 to 15’ of water…run a #8

Let out line til you intermittently bang bottom.

This is mainly pool 2 where you are rarely deeper than 15’. I try not to overthink trolling and cover water…been pretty successful for me but the advice on here is very good.

Very similar to my approach on p2. Line counter and precision trolling would be overkill for me here.

I do use metered braid to get a more precise idea of how much line I have out, but again, banging bottom is usually the game out there and it doesn’t take any specialized gear or an app to figure that out.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.