Line – Capacity vs Test

• Rick Beatty

I am setting up a rig to toss glide baits like the Hell Hound and Phantom. According to the specs on the Tranx 400 I can put 275 yards of Power Pro 50lb braid on it or 175 yards of 65lb.

Which would be the better route – more line or higher test?

HMoshier

My choice would be 65 lb which is what I’m using now. But we have a lot of stump fields and rocks to deal with on our local lake as well as fish up to 50″. Cave Run has the same plus huge grass beds. 50 lb would probably work better for bait action with the baits you using but I tend to hedge a bit high on the line strength. What are you going to use for a leader?

Early in the spring I’ve used 50lb with small crankbaits and spinnerbaits because it casts a little better with small bass baits.

You’re usually casting less than 100′ so filling the entire spool with braid will waste a lot of line. Are you going to put backing on the spool first?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Well you can’t cast either 175 yards or 275 yards so thats out of the equation. grin

How often do you fish? If you are out there constantly I personally might go with braid.It’s a bit tougher. If I fished occasionally I might opt to save a bit of money and go with the other. Be sure to check for cuts and nicks often.

It’s kind of a personal choice, can’t really go wrong.

Rick Beatty

Thanks. Here are the answers to some of the questions asked:

Up until now I have not targeted Musky. They are in my waters and I want to focus on them in the fall. I would say this will be a lightly used rig.

I am still in the planning stage and don’t have the leaders yet. I am thinking about solid wire.

I will put some backing on; I always do that with braid for at least a few turns to cut down on slippage. I am not overly concerned with saving a few dollars. If I go with the 65 I would use about 20 yards of backing and a 150 yard spool of braid. I already have that spool of line. If I go with 50 I would buy a 300 yard spool. Maybe that makes the decision easy.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I would go with the heavier option (or even heavier than 65)… never know when you could hook the one.

HMoshier

If your new to musky trolling (or trolling in general) watch some of Gregg Thomas’ youtube videos. He is predominately a trolling guide and trolls all year long in KY, at LSC and lakes in MN. Very informative with a lot of tips and tactics. Gregg isn’t the only guide trolling so mix up your viewing.

I’ve been rolling for a couple years now and I’m still trying to get my setup right.

MnPat1

With an fg knot to the leader 50 or 65.
    Tying braid to swivel 65 or 80. The fg is a lot stronger connection and I find it makes the jerkbaits work much better. No swivel to inhibit action and bow your line. I have 65 lb on now but will put 50 on next time. I also use it for saltwater jigging and it works great. Casts big jerkbaits a mile.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Either 50lb or 65lb are both more than adequate for fighting a muskie…but that’s not what you need high-strength line to do. the problem you can encounter with lighter line is that heavy lures can overload it and it will snap on a backlash or when trying to free a lure’s large hooks from a snag.
    I use 65lb line with a wire leader on my jerkbait/glider rod with a 300 Curado and keep it to those lighter lures such as the Phantom or Hellhound you’re asking about. On my more standard muskie rigs with a 400 or 500 Tranx I use 80lb and 100lb test line with 180lb fluoro leaders for a better match to the heavier lures.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

The reason I would go with 65 is the line diameter is also less likely to bury in itself on the spool.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.