Leech Lake filet knife

• Great Laker

For anybody that has one, are they worth the cost? Does the blade stay sharper longer because of the material? Or is it because its sharp on the backside of the knife tip too and you are supposed to leverage that for some of your cuts?

Deuces

If you have money to burn yes they are great. The flex in the blade is what I really appreciate, and yes they do stay sharp for quite awhile longer than others.

I don’t feel the backside being sharpened is all that useful. Have to tell people to be careful of it if they aren’t familiar otherwise they cut themselves.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.

I’ve had mine since 2002. I’ve given three as gifts to fishing buddies. I used to get it sharpened at the Sportshow where I bought it but don’t anymore. I gently touch it up with a steel a few times a season.
    I think the sharp backside for making the first cut through the scales takes a lot of wear off the main blade. They used to include a bandaid with the purchase of one. I think most people cut themselves before the learn how to handle it.

curleytail

They seem to use very good steel. I have a knife from the same parent company. It’s not the leech lake knife and doesn’t have the sharpened back side. It still stays sharp much, much longer than any knife I’ve used before. I’ve had it for several years and have cleaned a lot of panfish and handful of eyes and pike with it and have only touched it up with a steel. It still shaves newspaper when I’m skinning fish.

It could probably be just a little sharper than it is. I should send it in to have them sharpen it again but it’s amazing the edge it holds. Flexibility is about right, and I think the blade is 5.5 inches, just about perfect for most everything I do.

Tucker

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I have a Custom Cutlery knife (same knife made by the same people but without the extra blade on back). It’s good but not great. I’ve had sharpening issues. My old rapala knife I feel held a better edge for longer. I think I got mine when the kid took over???

I would not buy again. Maybe just got unlucky but it was to expensive

Great Laker

They seem to use very good steel. I have a knife from the same parent company. It’s not the leech lake knife and doesn’t have the sharpened back side. It still stays sharp much, much longer than any knife I’ve used before. I’ve had it for several years and have cleaned a lot of panfish and handful of eyes and pike with it and have only touched it up with a steel. It still shaves newspaper when I’m skinning fish.

It could probably be just a little sharper than it is. I should send it in to have them sharpen it again but it’s amazing the edge it holds. Flexibility is about right, and I think the blade is 5.5 inches, just about perfect for most everything I do.

Tucker

Thanks for the info. What brand is your knife? I didn’t realize there was a parent company

Timmy

I had one from 1996 that found its way to the lake bottom two yrs ago. I immediately replaced it. I have also bought several as gifts over the yrs. They are nice and very much worth it IMO. My old one had many, many fish behind it….

Great Laker

How often do you guys typically sharpen them? And do you always send them in or do you do it yourself?

They are expensive but I could probably buy two of them for the money I’ve sunk into cheap filet knives over the years that never seem to be able to hold an edge.

curleytail

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>curleytail wrote:</div>

Tucker

Thanks for the info. What brand is your knife? I didn’t realize there was a parent company

Parent company was probably the wrong term. Maybe sister company would be more accurate. Anyway, made by the same people from what I gather. It’s Custom Cutlery, same as Bob referenced above.

Unlike Bob, I love mine. Holds an edge very well, much longer than my old trusty 4″ Rapalas did. I’ve had mine… not sure, maybe 5 years. My brother got one a couple years ago. Hasn’t used it nearly as much as mine but he seems to like his also.

brentbullets

I own 3 of them. 2 of the 7.5” and one 5.5”. The reason for 2 of 7.5” knives is a spare and if there are a mess of walleyes I have an extra knife for the other to use to help clean the fish. I usually will send them in but if I am going to be near their shop I will stop in and have them sharpened. I usually use the same knife every time that I am only one cleaning fish and this is going on the 3rd year on one without being sharpened. Usually clean well over 100 walleyes a year. That one will be getting sent in shortly, hence a spare also. They are made by Custom Cutlery in Marengo Iowa, good guys. Make sure if you send it in for sharpening to throw 5 to 10 bucks in box for return postage. I just usually put in 10 which more then covers the postage. There is no charge for the sharpening.

John Peterson
    Woodbury, Minnesota

For anybody that has one, are they worth the cost?

Yes to me they are worth the extra cost.

Does the blade stay sharper longer because of the material?

Not 100% sure.

Or is it because its sharp on the backside of the knife tip too and you are supposed to leverage that for some of your cuts?

IMHO this definitely helps.

I have used the same Leech Lake Knife for 27 years.
    Very happy with it!
    For years I would get it sharpened at the NW Sportshow.
    Now I send it in to Custom Cutlery.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Love mine. I don’t filet enough fish at one time to bother with an electric, so this was well worth it. The fact that it’s a piece of art makes the experience more enjoyable too.

Sharon
    SE Metro

I love my Leech Lake Filet knife! I got one as a surprise birthday gift four years ago and it’s all I’ve used since to filet fish. Works nicely, is comfortable to use, and keeps its edge. I would definitely recommend one. waytogo

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.