LED Rope Lights in a boat-Question

• walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Wondering if any of you guys have done this? And if so, what you recommend. I’d like to Run a rope under the gunnel so the light is facing down to illuminate the floor and this way will not be a direct light to the eyes. Doing this both for the practicality and the cool factor. What color would you recommend? size? etc.. I’d like to install this myself but hesitate because I know other wiring runs through the areas and really don’t want to mess up anything. Thanks.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

There have been a few discussions on this exact subject, might try searching for it.

I have two 12 foot LED rope light ziptied under my gunnels. One on each side of the boat, wired to my main interior light switch. Super easy to do.

I chose yellow lights as it gives out plenty of light to land fish but doesn’t attract bugs.

EBay and Amazon are two great locations to buy your rope lights.

Ron

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’d go with red lights because they (in general terms) don’t mess up your night vision the way white or other colors do.

And don’t go crazy with the number of lights you put in. More is NOT better. If you raise the levels of ambient lighting too much, you will impact your ability to see outside the boat regardless of light color.

It takes your eyes a LONG time to adjust to the maximum capability of your night vision. What I’ve read is that it’s almost 30 minutes for most of us. And ANY exposure to white light will immediately return your eyes to “daylight setting” and the process must start again.

What I noticed with red lighting in places like airplane cockpits is that at first it appears to be way too dim to be useful. But as my eyes adjust, I’ll suddenly notice that I can’t see the red light anymore, I just see things as if they were lit in normal light and that it’s plenty bright.

Grouse

Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

I plan on doing the same thing but with an orange led strip. I currently have a orange trailer light there (bow) but it does not give off enough light. I also have an orange LED light mounted behind the captain’s chair close to the transom (tiller). I like that one so I can see the boat controls and battery cables. These lights I rigged with the running night lights so there are options to having one on or both at the same time. In an older IDO post I recall that some users noticed that orange did not attract as many bugs. I can’t say yet because it has not been buggy yet when I have fished at night. The interior of my boat is painted white so the downward facing orange light gives wicked cool glow to the bottom of the boat. – Boogs

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Personally i wouldn’t recommend it, but I did it once so I get it.

I went with superbrights, dimmer, yellow.

I found I only used them when I had other people on board. I won’t be putting then on my current boat or probably any future boat either, but those lights worked well if that’s what you want to do.

I went yellow for bugs too…I had two 16′ strips.

Hilltopper
    LaCrosse, WI

I did this same thing on my boat two years ago. I got the idea form another IDO member. LED strips are dirt cheap on ebay. It worked great for illuminating the boat. I ran a strip down both sides and hooked it up to a toggle switch already on the dash. It was a fun project. Made the boat look great at night. Not the best experience for fishing purposes. Even with attaching it under the gunnel, it was too bright. I will side with Grouse that it takes to long for your pupils to adjust when needed for seeing outside the boat or when driving. I could do the same thing with a battery operated LED light attached to the boat with double sided tape.

shawnil

for night fishing guys, I could see it being a big help when rummaging around for things like hooks, sinkers, bait while fishing in the dark. If you’re using an led headlamp or flashlight you’re messing up your night vision anyhow.

Not saying I can’t tie hooks and thread on baits in the dark, but that little bit of light makes it a lot easier. I was using stick-on white leds, I think the rope lights are probably a better solution.

Timmy

I am a nighttime newbie….

What would you night guys recommend for something that will allow me to see the subtle bite of a sturgeon in the dark? Bugs are NOT a concern, because I am planning on needing light only during during the spring sturg bite. I need enough lamination to see a rod tip do the tap-tap move….. My original thoug was to light the deck up like a crab boat on deadliest catch………..

During warmer times, the interior Amber lighting in my boat is sufficient.

matt

If I have a rod in a rod holder or I am shorefishing after dark I clip a small glow stick on.You can buy a package of them for a bobber and they have multiple clips included for clipping them on to different diameter rods and bobbers

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Like Grouse said, red. It was a way of life in the Navy after dark.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I am a nighttime newbie….

What would you night guys recommend for something that will allow me to see the subtle bite of a sturgeon in the dark? Bugs are NOT a concern, because I am planning on needing light only during during the spring sturg bite. I need enough lamination to see a rod tip do the tap-tap move….. My original thoug was to light the deck up like a crab boat on deadliest catch………..

During warmer times, the interior Amber lighting in my boat is sufficient.

My advice is simple. If you are relying on SEEING a sturgeon bite, you’re going to miss quite a few bites when your attention is away. Use bells. Hear the bite.

http://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/boating-big-sturgeon/

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.