Leave the Leaves!

• Sharon
    SE Metro

It’s getting to be that time of year again where we might feel the need to rid our yards and landscapes of all the fallen leaves. But there’s really no need to clean them up completely! Fallen leaves are good for our yards, trees, and the critters! Fallen leaves provide food, shelter, and nesting to a variety of wildlife and insects, and they also help sustain birds, protect overwintering pollinators, and insulate plant roots. So in short, leave the leaves! mrgreen

Attachments:
    1. leave-the-leaves-1.jpg

2. leave-the-leaves.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

A women after my own heart. Instead of raking cut them up with your mower, make a fine mulch out of them.

JEREMY
    BP

I dont mind helping animals but I have no interest in helping nest or shelter insects.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I almost always mulch the last few lawn mowing’s each season.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

My wife has a Big Flower bed and I’ll rake up the leaves and pile them on the flower garden. In the spring I just take the blower vac and blow them off once I know its warm enough.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

A women after my own heart. Instead of raking cut them up with your mower, make a fine mulch out of them.

most my leaves hit the garden for fertilizer. i saved a pile last year and put them around my cukes and maters….worked good.

i bring 5 bags, the 50 lb sunflower and dog food bagsd up to the cabin, since there all maple after it snows the deer have that all torn apart by new years!!!!!

alos do what thumper does with my wifes flower bed…..and i cover my winter onions, and rubard!!

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I haven’t bagged a leaf in about 8 years. Grass always looks nice in the springtime.

Jimmy Jones

lol

I just planted my garlic for next year and then re-mowed the front yard using the bagger to collected the chopped leaves as mulch cover for the garlic bed. Worked well.

Whatever leaves we see from here on out I just blow out in the park land. Leaves are nice, yes, but gone leaves are even better.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

As others have mentioned, I mulch most of mine. And I put some in my garden too.

I do still rake and bag a few though. I have a few big trees and the leaves there are just too thick to get mulched up.

tim hurley

I rake the thick stuff under a tree & mulch the rest

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I haven’t raked a leaf in probably 15 years. They either get blown into the woods with a backpack blower or mulched into oblivion while getting grass down to its winter height

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

I mulch mine too.

If I left all the leaves in my back yard, I’d never find the dogshit.

Charles

12″ of leaf’s I am not leaving them lol.

However after the first bagging session, I am not worry about the others that will fall, those will be mulched up.

CaptainMusky

I have a mulching system on my tractor and it does a pretty fantastic job actually. I ran it over the bigger piles yesterday but still waiting on my silver leaf maples to even turn colors before I get serious about this. I mulched the side of my neighbors yard too since they would just end up in my yard anyway, then he bagged his after I was done. Saved him a lot of bag emptying.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Leaves get mulched or pushed to the road. No way I’m leaving them. The critters can go to the neighbors

CaptainMusky

I just wish these dang maples would fall. Far too many years they fall after a foot of snow is on the ground!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My maple is mocking me as I type this. Any day now its game on and my maple knows I hate raking……..

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

My maple is mocking me as I type this. Any day now its game on and my maple knows I hate raking……..

Mine too and yeah raking sucks!

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Don’t leave the leaves around your house since the mice like using them. I much and sweep them into the garden. Then till them in.

JEREMY
    BP

Thinking the people that leave them dont have many trees. I have at least 18 trees in my front yard. Large maples oaks birch plus fruit trees. Back yard probably 60. If they werent picked up the leaves would be a foot deep.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i cleaned up under my black walnut yesterday afternoon……and already it looks like i never touched it. my maples dont want to fall either!!!!!

CaptainMusky

Thinking the people that leave them dont have many trees. I have at least 18 trees in my front yard. Large maples oaks birch plus fruit trees. Back yard probably 60. If they werent picked up the leaves would be a foot deep.

No way if you have an oak or a big maple can you consider leaving them. They have so many dang leaves its ridiculous. I had to back up multiple times yesterday when I was mulching them because I was pushing them along with the mower deck. So glad when this time of year is over. Hopefully we get a VERY hard freeze and that usually finishes off the Maples I have, but sometimes its not until after a big snow and that is a BIG problem.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

No way if you have an oak or a big maple can you consider leaving them. They have so many dang leaves its ridiculous.

No way to leave them when your neighbors blow them into the street and they end up in your yard! smash

-J.

CaptainMusky

No way to leave them when your neighbors blow them into the street and they end up in your yard!

I have a strong dislike for this type of person. Thankfully we have good neighbors around us that clean up their leaves but we obviously get some of theirs, but unfortunately they get very few of mine because of prevailing winds and Im on the end of the street LOL

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We all clear leaves to the road and a county truck comes by and vacs them once a week in the fall

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

We all clear leaves to the road and a county truck comes by and vacs them once a week in the fall

That would be nice!

mojogunter

I tried that one year at the old house filled with oak trees. Too much acid in oak leaves and the lawn was not in good shape in the spring. Took a full year to recover.

CaptainMusky

WOw that is awesome! I wish they did that here.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have a maple in the front that is bright red right now. In the back there is one that is fully green. ???

JEREMY
    BP

My giant maple that is purple all year is green now. I dont remember if that always happens. 4 right now are yellow and 2 that are red. Wish they looked like that all year.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.