Leaking Terrova

• clawman
    Spokane Wa

I have used this Terrova for three seasons and three times I’ve had to take it into the Minnkota ASP to rebuild. It keeps getting water in the motor. Have you had the same problem? I do fish in the winter when the water is typically under 40 deg. Shouldn’t Minnkotas be able to work in winter conditions?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I had that problem on my 112 terrova. Luckily mine was under warranty. The motor is junk if it gets wet.

The issue was a manufacturing defect on the motor housing sealing surface. Quite embarrassing if you ask me. I’ve worked as a machinist and an assembler of hydraulic parts with sealing surfaces and what I saw was completely embarrassing. I wish I had a picture.

You’ll need to get the whole motor and housing replaced. Do you know what they’ve done to repair it?

If any of the leaking ever occurred under warranty I’d be calling minnkota headquarters and tell them you want it replaced under warranty.

hnd

slow down on getting things replaced. i was getting water in the housing and when stowed on the ride back my passengers were getting sprayed. i replaced the seals (like 7 dollar kit) and it was as good as new.

i also had a buddy with a powerdrive that was doing the same thing. new seal kit didn’t really fix it. we siliconed where all the seals were supposed to be and it worked fine too.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

There’s absolutely no reason that those seals should ever leak unless theres a defect of some sort. The only seal that could conceivably leak after many years is the rotary seal around the shaft. That one should last for the life of the motor though.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I guess they would leak if it was a poor design. crazy

hnd

per my minnkota repair shop locally they said they see seals go bad not frequently but every once in a while. i changed the brushed out tried to use the same old seals and that was when i started getting water.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.