Leadcore?

• slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Not too long ago it seemed like the posts here implied everyone was dragging cranks with leadcore. Has it wore off and not being done as much, or does everyone do it so much it just doesn’t get mentioned anymore?

Previously it sounded like you were missing the boat if not doing it.

sktrwx2200

I pull leadcore 75% of the time I fish.

Karry Kyllo

I troll cranks with lead core from spring through fall almost every time out.

B-man

You’re missing the boat waytogo

There is no stealthier way to present any crankbait at any depth.

It’s primarily a walleye, salmon/trout tactic. But you can catch anything doing it (pike, perch, largies, smallies, etc)

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

12 months of the year you can run leadcore. Helps if it is above freezing though.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Thanks for clarifying that leadcore is alive and well. For advice to a guy that’s never used it what would you recommend rod and reel wise. Perhaps any cranks you’d recommend hands down with it compared to others unless it’s just like anything where the cranks will be dictated to what works best on a lake by lake basis.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I haven’t even resorted to pulling cranks yet. Fishing has been good enough using other methods I haven’t resorted to cranks yet. I suppose I should try out the leadcore gear I picked up though

B-man

Lots of options, but if I had to pick just one economical rig for walleyes:

7′-7.5′ medium or medium light glass trolling rod, like a Daiwa Wilderness.

A size 27 Accudepth reel. You can go bigger (47), but not necessary. A 17 is a bit too small.

Fill it with 12lb Suffix 832 Advanced leadcore, at least 7 colors. Use braid or mono backer so the spool is full. Double uni to connect backer.

10-15lb Seaguar Blue Label leader (20-25′ long)

50lb Spro swivel or Willis Knot to connect the leader to the leadcore.

For cranks, can’t go wrong with Flicker Shads and Shad Raps. Size 5-7

B-man

Hey Guys, can you get 7 colors of #18lb Suffix 832 Advanced leadcore on a Okuma Cold Water 303 DLX reel? Thanks

Absolutely. You’ll need backing to fill it out, or run 10 colors with less backing.

B-man

Too many factors to say for sure.

The absolute best way it to build it backwards.

Temporarily tape the leadcore to the reel’s spool.

Reel on the desired amount (say 7-10 colors)

Tie on your backer.

Fill the reel until 1/8″ from full with backer.

Now you have a couple options. Building two identical reels is the easiest. Zero the counter on the empty reel and reel in the backer. Write down the number. Then reel in your core and put on the leader.

On your now empty reel, zero the counter and reel in backer until your number matches. The add on the same amount of colors.

If you’re just building one reel, there’s two options.

If you have a big open area, you can pay all the line off and reel it back on from the opposite side.

Option two takes a drill and two empty fishing line spools. Wind the line off the reel onto a spool with the drill. Take the spool off and wind it onto yet another spool with the drill (now it’s flipped). Lastly reel it back onto the reel.

If you’re just using the reel for walleye fishing, I’d use mono for backer (cheaper, thicker, and you’ll never “need it”) It’s only purpose is to fill the spool to max capacity for optimum gear ratio and more accurate line counting.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.