Lead shot ban (DFL introduced bill) opposed by MN State HS Clay Target League

• Brittman

Per Minnesota State High School Clay Target League email

Recently a number of Minnesota State Representatives, and one Senator, have introduced legislation to ban lead-based ammunition in the state. Their proposed legislation specifically identifies that “…the league must adopt league rules that prohibit using lead ammunition and require using nontoxic ammunition at all shooting sport practices, competitions, training, and other events.”

“Youth clay target shooting sports in Minnesota is NOT a public health issue,” said John Nelson, President of the Eagan-based USA Clay Target League, the largest youth clay target shooting sports program in the country. “By specifically targeting youth shooting sports, it becomes clear that this is an attack on a school-approved activity that they don’t like. The idea that there are over 50,000 Minnesota students that have participated in the League since 2001 that have never had an accident, never had an injury, despite shooting a shotgun over 100 million times, goes contrary to their preferred narrative. “

The proposed legislation would result in 12,000+ Minnesota students and their families, hundreds of shooting ranges, and the State of Minnesota paying the price.

Brittman

The League encourages everyone that supports youth clay target shooting sports to make their opinions known. Please reach out to your own Minnesota State Senators and Representatives and let them know that you do not support HF3813 nor SF3792.

Reef W

This is hf3813/sf3792 right? It’s not “specifically targeting youth shooting sports” but I get that’s the part they’re concerned about. The bill is to ban lead ammo for hunting and all target shooting and also to ban lead fishing tackle. The description is:

A bill for an act
    relating to environment; prohibiting the use of lead ammunition when hunting;
    prohibiting the sale, manufacture, and use of lead tackle; establishing a nontoxic
    ammunition performance standard for shooting sports facilities; requiring nontoxic
    ammunition in school shooting sports; requiring reports; appropriating money;

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Shooting steel at clay targets is a bummer.

Jimmy Jones

Lead and lead ore [galena] are naturally occurring elements in our soil. Maybe tell these nitwits that when they get the natural stuff under control they can address this current issue.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Can’t imagine shooting a 100 rounds of steel. My shoulder hurts just thinking about it.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crawdaddy wrote:</div>

Can’t imagine shooting a 100 rounds of steel. My shoulder hurts just thinking about it.

What am I missing here? An ounce of shot is an ounce of shot when it comes to recoil. Or are steel target loads heavier?

Umy
    South Metro

You’re missing that “karen” has to make his/her/its feelings known that there is no problem and we need to create one to justify his/her/its feelings – at the expense of our children – AGAIN!
    As someone who started this program in Burnsville I can tell you it is hugely successful and that ALL of the families that were there the first night – Carhartt’s, boots – blue jeans – kids and families that were otherwise not typically engaged in their schools were more than excited to have something besides football, basketball, cheerleading or volleyball to rally around and create significant new relationships to friends AND THEIR SCHOOLS as a result.
    These people need a head butt……..

Brittman

Agree with Umy. The great thing about clay target sports is everyone “starts” and everyone has the same opportunity. There is a state tournament (Alexandria) for every level of shooter.

Agree for many it is there only HS activity and many letter at trap or skeet that would not have a chance to letter at traditional varisty sports.

15%-18% of the shooters on our team were young ladies!

Many trap and skeet gun clubs that languished for years are now busy most afternoons 3 – 5. These kids do return and shoot as adults.

mann4ducks

Thanks for taking this up not being from MM kept me from stating opinions on this however it is heading for CO as it takes up traction in other states

ThunderLund78

Looks like MeatEater has published an article about this as well, Maybe a little national awareness/pressure will help. They have a huge audience and have made an impact on local legislation before. My youngest was just thinking about getting into trap league. Really hoping this doesn’t pass but I don’t hold out a lot of hope in this state.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My understanding is that they are currently going after two issues during this current legislative session as they relate to firearms.

1) mandatory reporting of a lost or stolen firearm within 48 hours (which is already a federal requirement by the ATF, so I’m not sure why the state is doing this).

2) mandatory separate safe storage of firearms and ammo.

I don’t understand this one. So they are saying I can’t keep my ammo in my locked gun safe and I have to now go buy a separate ammo safe? ???

jimmysiewert

I would sure like to know who is going to check my gun safes to see if guns and ammo are separate right Gimruis?? I just cannot fathom how stupid our elected officials are!!!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I would sure like to know who is going to check my gun safes to see if guns and ammo are separate right Gimruis??

I don’t understand it. I’ve stored my ammo in my gun safe since I’ve owned one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.