lazer mag blades won't cut

• dbrode
    Mingo, IA

I just had a friend sharpen the blades for my lazer mag. This is the first time the blades have been off in the 15 years I have owned this unit. I put them back on and the thing just cuts about a 2 inch deep cone in the ice then dances around and won’t cut any further. The blades appear to be very sharp, and I don’t think it’s possible to put this style of blades on backwards, they have a pretty dramatic curve to them. Any ideas or help or just go buy new blades?

ajaikens31
    Big Rapids, Michigan

Sounds like the pitch is off. Where do you live?

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

DB
    I have been told that due to the curved nature of the lazer mag blade is is difficult to sharpen and new blades are required

dbrode
    Mingo, IA

I live in Mingo Iowa

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Sharpening paint scrapers for a decade will show a guy just how crucial that angle is. Even a few degrees out will make a razr sharp blade utterly useless.

If all he did was sharpen them at an angle to the original angle I think there is salvation yet. Make sure to keep that original angle and grind er down to that, which may take a bit considering there was already an angle put into it from last sharpening.

Or just buy new blades, I vote for the latter.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

You can only have lazer blades sharpened by a professional with the correct equipment.

Kent Tau

Needs new blades because it may have been ruin during sharpening. Or resharpen by a professional. Depending on price it may better just buying new ones, if its a pitch the blades will not cut regardless if it’s new blades or not.

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

Find a place that does trade a blade and exchange them. It’s almost impossible to do them yourself or even at a sharpening place, they take special effort. Better yet save the price and buy a chipper drill for your auger and be done with Lazers forever. They are way too delicate and undependable. Just my humble opinion after having one for a couple years and spending the cost of a drill screwing with them and the stupid drill pitch issues that follow.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Man do I love my chipper blades applause

oldbear
    State Center, Iowa

dbrode, just buy a new set and get to fishing. Been in your boat and their right now again. Took my hand auger and motor auger which both have lazer blades in to Polk City and Marshalltown and they’ve been as goofed up as when I tried it. Used the old blue mora with chinese blades to get a hole drilled the last couple days so gonna bite the bullet and get a new set.

jtstarvinmarvin
    Woodbury, MN

I have the same problem. I bought new blades and it didn’t really help. I have yet to find a solution. I called my local hardware store which is an authorized Strikemaster repair shop but they only really service the engine. He did recommend that I make sure that my power point is sharp. You can either sharpen them or buy them new for about $15-20. I’m going to start there but then I think I will have to take it in to DRock to have it serviced if that doesn’t work. Although, it sounds like that’s not a real good place to have them look at it, but is my only choice here in MN.

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

DRock is a great place to take it but why should you have to? Cutting ice is not tough work, why should a steel drill lose it’s pitch? It sure says bad things about total product quality in my book. Get a chipper, sharpen it every 4-5 years and not worry.

vern
    Richfield, MN

Lazer Mag blades are about $44 at Fleet Farm. Buy new & forget trying to exchange them for some other badly sharpened blades. They should last you at least a couple seasons. I’ve only changed blades 3 times on my 15 year old Lazer & I fish almost every weekend. Probably time for another set but it still cuts great!

dbrode
    Mingo, IA

Thanks folks! Bit the bullet and bought new blades and wow! Cuts effortlessly. Should have done this years ago. Best $40 I’ve spent in a long time. Tight lines to all!

TripleA
    Blaine

D-Rock is great for service. I would just change the blades, it’s part of owning an auger.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.