Lawn Experts

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Is it too early to spread grass seed (next week)? Locally temps are forecasted to be 52-60 the entire week and relatively dry.

My plan is to scratch it barely with the tiller behind the compact tractor, then spread seed, roll it, and cover it lightly with straw mixed with tackifier. Soil temps are all over the place with hitting 90 last week then getting 6″ of snow. The grass that has taken from last year is green as can be following last week.

We hydroseeded the nearest 2/3 acre to the new build last year to hold things in place. Now I’ve got another full acre or so to get started. I’d rather do it sooner than later to help with dust and mark a few more things off the to-do list while the river is unfishable. My 3 year old has been relentless in pointing out gopher mounds and helping get them trapped to ready the area as well.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Yeah I think you would be good to go. Personally I’d rather get it going when it’s cool and wet vs hot and dry

Coletrain27

50+ degree soil temps is what you want

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Personally I’d rather get it going when it’s cool and wet vs hot and dry

Very much so, me too. I don’t know if Bucky has irrigation either so if he’s solely relying on rain, I’d much rather do it during a cooler, wetter pattern.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m going to aerate mine first this year. I’m sure it needs it bigtime. Then I think I’ll spread a layer of topsoil and seed.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m going to be watering it on my own. Last summer managing the maze of a dozen hoses and sprinklers simultaneously got real old. Hopefully the earlier start will create less watering demand by mid summer.

It looks like I will get things prepped this cool weekend and start Monday or Tuesday.

Next Question:

Is Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed the standard to go with if you want fertilizer mixed in?

Greg Krull
    South Metro / Pool 4

Is Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed the standard to go with if you want fertilizer mixed in?

It was on sale at Costco, not sure if it still is. I prefer to spread a starter fertilizer, seed, and straw.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Anybody lay down crabgrass preventative yet? Im still waiting for the temps to get up a bit.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

I’m going to lay down all my preventative and pre-emergent stuff next week.

Coletrain27

Scott’s is excellent seed but it’s not cheap. might not hurt to wait another week so you don’t end up buying seed twice. It’s gonna get in the 20’s at night next week in southern mn. If you’re doing an acre of seed that’s not cheap.

Starter fertilizer works good for new grass if you want to put some of that down and it’s usually not that expensive

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I get a Email when the U of M Extension says the ground temps reaches 55 degrees 3 days in a row, that’s when Crabgrass germinates. Got that Email last week. So yes get it down ASAP.

IDO

isu22andy

https://gddtracker.msu.edu/?model=7&offset=0&zip=55108 Tracker I found for lawn chemical applications off of growing degree units . I don’t really get into lawn care but I don’t mind throwing some fertilizer down and a pass or two of spray in the summer . My opinion would vary a lot more if I didn’t have a riding mower haa .

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Bucky, this is just my opinion, but I have good luck with 10-10-10 and Shulz grass seed from Menards.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Not an expert, but I thought you could seed grass as early as the ground is workable. The seed won’t germinate until soil temp reaches a certain point. I’ve had decent luck dormant seeding right before snow in November so I’m curious if there’s a difference. Organic farmer next door to us plants his wheat the moment he can get in the fields.

Coletrain27

Not an expert, but I thought you could seed grass as early as the ground is workable. The seed won’t germinate until soil temp reaches a certain point. I’ve had decent luck dormant seeding right before snow in November so I’m curious if there’s a difference. Organic farmer next door to us plants his wheat the moment he can get in the fields.

correct but if its too early and too wet the seed will rot and not germinate. normally dormant seeding is done when there is not alot of moisture in the fall or stuff is already froze.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

In my area Cenex is the place to get grass seed. They have different variety’s for sun or shade and high traffic areas. Grass seed at big box stores is the same as garden seed there you don’t no how old the seed is. The cenex’s here sell it by the pound or the 50# bag I would think most do as well.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

In my area Cenex is the place to get grass seed. They have different variety’s for sun or shade and high traffic areas. Grass seed at big box stores is the same as garden seed there you don’t no how old the seed is. The cenex’s here sell it by the pound or the 50# bag I would think most do as well.

I ran into the exact opposite thing in the past. I went local and bought a 50# bag of what was supposed to be top notch seed here. After slit seeding 50# of seed we got almost nothing. After asking around, people advised against this seed as these smaller local places buy a ton and carry over old stuff (likely what I got). I’d rather go to the department store and get a bag in season off a truck without reaching a shelf and with a date stamp on it.

MX1825

Here in SW WI the go to seed is called Madison Parks blend. It is what supposedly Madison, WI Park System uses to seed new areas. I have some leftover in my shed I’ll try and see if there is a label on it tomorrow.
    I’ve had seed in my garage in the past for 4 or 5 years and had good luck using it for new areas.
    Also I’ve had better luck using wheat straw for covering it. Using roll out straw mats is even better for cover.

Karl Hungus
    Carver County, Minnesota

So…not trying to offend anyone but the fact is, crabgrass does not germinate at 50-55 degrees. The old “wives tale” of 3 consecutive nights 50 or above is just a simple, but incorrect formula. Crabgrass in this area (Twin Cities) will be germinating in the next month or so. Right now it’s germinating in the Kansas City area and we’re typically a month or so behind them. Today in Henderson MN, the soil temp (at 6″) is in the low 40s. Yes, we did see spikes in soil temps during the flash warmup but CG did not germinate so no worries. Crabgrass germinates when soil is in the low-mid 60s (again at 6″ deep) and most of it germinates at 70 degree soil temp and above. That said, go ahead and put it down now if you feel safer but the fact is, pre emergent crabgrass preventer will last 8 weeks at the most. Mid-late summer crabgrass explodes because of warm soil temps and the CG preventer that got put down now has worn off. That’s why people frequently see a late bloom of crabgrass and figure it’s something else cuz they put down Halts or something similar in April or early May. I apply at 1/2 rate starting in mid May and I will re-apply another 1/2 rate in early August. My 2 cents…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.