Latest wiper/white bass report

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

The last two days I’ve been getting good catches of wipers and white bass locally. Two days ago I went and got 4 wipers and about a dozen white bass. Yesterday when A school had come through or a lot of singles or doubles and they all were in faster water behind any bigger rock or boulder instead of swimming the faster current all the time.

I fished where I had the day before and only got two smaller whitebass and a big school of 8″ shad had moved into the shallower water and almost every cast you’d snag a shad. So I walked up to the faster water and I could see the big rocks and boulders more then the day before. I tied on a 5″ Rapala with white sides and bottom and a black top, about the most common and maybe the oldest Rapala color there is and threw out into the slower water behind those rocks.

I made a few quick turns of the handle to get the slack out then a couple more turns to get the lure into motion and that’s all it took. They were laying there watching for anything that might resemble food and these wipers just slammed that lure. I made 4 casts and got 3 wipers about 3 too 4 lbs. and a nice whitebass. I think the longest I went without a fish was maybe 6 or 7 casts and I get another one.

I had my waders on so I was able to get within 20 yards of those boulders so that made it accurate casting. Two guys were down from me without waders and were trying to get something and with no catches by them I felt pretty humbled. I walked over to them and told them that if they wanted to wade out into knee deep water that there was plenty enough for us all. One guy did and the other guy just stood there and watched me. The guy that was fishing got a few nice whitebass and I kept catching wipers and whitebass.

It got to the point where I knew I had to carry them up hill to the truck and had to clean them all so I decided to leave and go home. The younger guy never fished for them before and was asking advice and I told him, and because I gave him the advice he said he appreciated it and offered to help me carry a bucket of fish to the truck. He made the comment that he thought the bucket weighed 40 lbs, I thought maybe 25 too 30 and both buckets were full to the top. I know both buckets together were close to 50 lbs of fish in 3 hrs.

I did hear that the local DNR stocks the wipers halfway regular and also heard that the DNR stocked 150,000 walleye fingerlings in two spots and within 5 miles of each other totaling 300,000. In 2 or 3 years those fish will be around 10 too 12 inches. I know with the amount of white bass and wipers there are in this area they will get alot of them but a few will still make it. The walleye fishing is decent anyway and I’m sure its because they are stocking regularily,,,good luck!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Message sent Dan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.