Late Fall Pike – I Have to brag

• Brandon Brackey

I have to brag about my Fiance’s pike from MEA weekend this fall. She was a real trooper fishing in some fairly cold weather and still having fun and sticking around. This fish taped at 43″ and was a great ending to a great trip. I don’t know what I did to end up so lucky but someone must be looking out for me.

Attachments:
    1. Erins-Fish.jpg

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Very nice pike.

Brandon Brackey

Also, it was pretty cool because she hooked and lost this fish right at the boat the day before (assuming the same fish, exact same spot) so it was great for her to end up catching it the next and last day because she was very upset it slipped off.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Gorgeous! Fiance looks nice too. ;-)

joc
    Western and Central, NY

Anything > 40 has bragging rights. I’ve only gotten 3 in 20 years.

procor
    Mounds View, MN

Thats a nice pike…I have only gotten one in my life over 40″…brag away!

joc
    Western and Central, NY

One thing interesting about pike is how much the girth can vary from fish to fish. On Conesus the deep water pike that feed on alewives are deep bodied fish, wide at the shoulders. Whereas another population seems to hug the shoreline and are are more snakelike in build. The deep water fish are harder to catch except in early spring and late fall.

I got one at ~ 37″ 2 weeks ago that had to weigh ~ (17 to 18) pounds. Yet I’ve caught the shallow water version at 39″ and they only weighted in at 13 pounds. This is true of all fish but seems to be even more so for pike, at least in my experience.

My dad got a pike on a fly-in that was 40″ and weighted over 25 pounds. Never seen a pike that wide before or after. My 45″ was about 23 pounds my personal biggest which was caught on a fly-in.There’s something about those fly-ins that produces some real monsters. Was the MEA state side? If so double kudos.

Well enough rambling about big pike, one of my favorite topics.

Brandon Brackey

It was a state side pike, it had a weird “ball” on the inside of it’s mouth and seemed to be kind of flabby bellied because of it. I would be curious what caused that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.