Larger splitter hole danger?

• tindall
    Minneapolis MN

So the spitter on this 40hp merc 2 stroke keeps clogging right at the hole on the case – there is simply muck and stuff where we have to go. The filter grate and everything is in tact, but it annoys me so I put a larger diameter tube in place of the stock plastic tiny hole. It flows strong and allows yhe grit to pass out, but is there any chance I am drawing too much pressure from the cooling system and could do harm? Worried that if the spitter is just a small tap to let you know the system is functioning does opening the flow if it decrease the cooling. Iowa boy?

Attachments:
    1. 20220817_154456-scaled.jpg

Iowaboy1

Yep, you can starve the top of the motor for cooling water under 2 conditions,1,the pump is weak,and 2 you idle around a lot.
    You need the pressure to keep the motor full and if that is an older 3 cylinder like it looks to be they were at one time notorious for getting the top cylinder hot enough the sleeve would let go and the crank would beat it to death in short order ruining the whole shebang.

I know its a pain in the butt but I wouldn’t worry about the telltale plugging as long as your temp sensor is working it will sound the alarm with a continuous beep.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

It flows strong and allows yhe grit to pass out, but is there any chance I am drawing too much pressure from the cooling system and could do harm?

I agree with Iowa boy. The tattle tell stream is just an indicator. Having it clogged up will NOT affect the cooling. Personally, I’d go back to the factory size opening.
    I hunt and fish late into the season, many times I’ve went all day with the tattle tell frozen shut. Doesn’t hurt a thing.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

If you are sucking that much sediment and junk make sure to keep up on your water pump replacement.

I had to change impellers yearly when I duck hunted regularly. Running in the muck would chew my impellers up fast. Even missing 1 or 2 impeller fins drops the flow drastically.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.