Large musky crankbait storage?

• Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I have the majority of my muskie crankbaits in some variety of 3700 box, what’s the best thing for just a handful of the big boys? Headlocks, matlocks, ect? Good way to pin them down in a deep, open 3700?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have tried some different things but keep going back to a 3700 style of boxes. For large baits I made dividers out of ¼” hardboard and a milk crate. But that only lasted a season before the wood looked like crap from the rain and water. It helped putting rubber bands around the hooks to keep them from getting tangled but I spent more time doing the rubber bands than what it took me to untangle lures so I stopped that. Hopefully someone has some better ideas. I will be following this thread.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I ordered a couple of flambeau 9007 last night, should do what I need. Instead of hardboard, cut lengths of pvc rain downspouts. I might even try filling a softside tackle bag with the downspouts and see how it works.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

For my muskie bag I use a hockey duffel bag and have it filled with different 3700 style boxes. I put labels on the end of each box to make it easy to go thru. Most of the boxes are 3730. That has been working for me for years.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you believe the old adage of it’s a fish of 10,000 casts, you will only need 1 bait. grin

Buy a black BuckTail and go casting. No real baitbox required. waytogo

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I have caught plenty of muskie in my day and agree, black and silver blades or white and silver blades is about all you need, trying to get the trolling game down so my family can enjoy it on the pontoon as well!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Try Rapala Super Shad Raps. Amazing all the stuff they catch and they are relatively cheap for a Muskie bait.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Try Rapala Super Shad Raps. Amazing all the stuff they catch and they are relatively cheap for a Muskie bait.

Yes, agreed, have been using those already.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

if you don’t have enough lures that size to justify a whole tackle box, then one of the oversized plastic boxes absolutely work fine – look for the open bin style with no dividers. My fall trolling partner uses these.

Plano 3700 Open Compartment Deep
    https://www.planomolding.com/prolatchr-open-compartment-stowawayr-deep-3700

Flambeau 5001 Tuff Tainer Double Deep
    https://www.flambeauoutdoors.com/zerust-reg-max-waterproof-tuff-tainer-reg-5001-double-deep-bulk.aspx

for a larger collection of those 10″-15″ trolling crankbaits I haven’t seen much better than the Lakewood Extreme. it’s a Thorne Brothers exclusive, and it’s currently out of stock, but when you can get one again they are really awesome.
    14.5″ deep x 18.5″ wide x 18″ tall

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.