26″ Saugeye

• Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I received notice from the boss on Tuesday that at the end of the day, there would not be enough work to make it worthwhile for me to come back into work. Another words, I’m laid-off!
    After looking outside numerous times yesterday morning and checking the weather map repeadedly, I finally decided to to hook up the boat and go fishing. Cloudy, drizzly skies with a fairly strong south wind gave me a great feeling about how the bite was going to go. I arrived at my spot about 11:00am and caught nothing on my first couple passess.
    But from 12:30pm thru 2:30pm, the bite took off and I swear if someone else would have been in the boat with me, we would have been pulling doubles that whole time.
    The walleyes & saugers were just smashing my baits. It seemed as though they were trying to rip the rods right out of my hands or the rod holders.
    After 2:30pm it was all pretty much over. Couldn’t get bit again for the rest of the afternoon.
    Pulled the plug at 4:30pm and got hit by the first of many thunderstorms on the way home with the boat. Perfect timing & some darn good luck. Sure wish every fishing trip worked out that way.
    Taking pictures in whitecaps by the way is pretty challenging. I didn’t even try to snap pictures of any other fish today. This nice 26″ saugeye though, I had to have a picture of her.
    I ended up with three keepers, two shorts & six between 20-26″ long.
    What a blast!

Boog

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Nicely done!

Sorry to hear about the job situation. Hope it’s not long before you’re back on both feet.

littlefishy
    Ellsworth, WI

As my wife would say, very pretty fish

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Sorry to hear about the lay off. You sure know how to make lemonade out of lemons.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Nice fish Joel. I keep thinking that spot is going to dry up soon, and you keep hauling ’em in. Good work. Sorry about the job situation.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Way to go Joel!
    When I got out Sunday, thats how the first fish hit. The it tapered off from there. Nice fish!

I’ll need to photoshop that saugeye with a better looking guy like myself since I didn’t get a shot of mine last Sunday (wasn’t quite as big )

arklite881south

Hey Joel,

26 inch Saugeye is awesome!!! Great fish buddy!!

Sorry about the job situation!!

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

Very nice fish

Have you even thought about looking for some crappie on LWI this spring? Wouldn’t blame you for letting them alone with the eyes you’ve been doing the tango with….
    Sorry to hear about your job.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Thanks guys!

As for the crappies, its been a weird spring. I really haven’t done that well the few times we went after them. Of course when you put in a half effort of only an hour or two here and there, then thats kind of what you can expect.
    I’ve finally just said the heck with crappies and plan on concentrating solely on walleys and saugers until late August. At that time, we’ll start thinking about the crappies again.

boos1906

Hey joel sorry to hear about the job situation. What a awesome fish you have there

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.