Huge Lake Wisconsin Northern Pike

• Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Jim Saunders flagged me down out on the lake today and asked if I had my camera. Thank god I did.

This big pike was simply awesome! Jim caught it this morning on a blade bait which he painted himself.

What a fantastic catch. Congratulations Jim.

It was a special treat for me and my customers just to be able to see this fish up close.

The fish was released immediately after pictures were taken so for all you big pike enthusiest, its still out there swimming around and growing even bigger.

Boog

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

That is huge! Any specs on that fish? Thanks for posting that
    How did your boat do Joel?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Very nice wolf of the water!

Did you scold him for not having a camera?

Any details Boog?

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

that thing is amazing! and its not even being held out at all..I’d like to hear the specs also..That has to be close to 30#’s

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

The fish measured 44 inches long.

We did put it on my digital scale which I haven’t used in quite awhile. It said 18lbs and quite frankly, I don’t believe that at all. I told Jim not to trust the reading on that scale. I have held 18lb pike in my hands before and this fish was much better than that.

Jim let me take care of the release and it felt just awesome to hold a fish like that in my hands while making sure it was capable of swimming away under its own power.

My guess is this fish would weigh at least 23-24lbs. Maybe some of you pike guys could give and estimate on what a fish of this length would weigh. We did not get a girth measurement as Jim was worried about getting it back in the water alive and well.

As for my weekend of fishing, I hope to have a report in later tonight.

riverfan
    MN

Awsome is right! What a hog!

John

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Fantastic Fish! Looks very healthy too

howler
    bagley wi.

WOW

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

On my muskie scale I think 44″ is 21lbs. That’s not a skinny fish so I would say that it’s all of that and probably more.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Thats a huge northern!

Its time to replace your digital scale. At 44″ that fish will easily be in the 23-25 pound class. Thats a chunky fish all the way to the tail.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Incredable fish. What a pig.

darrin_bauer
    Inactive
    Menomonie Wi.

Agree that that hog goes 24 pounds or so, can’t wait for some ice, just need to get this darn whitetail itch scratched first.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

WOW What a Gator! Thanks for thr report and pic Boog!

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

I was thinking 25 pounds myself. I caught an 18 pounder,on a certified scale, in Lax that was 37 inches, it had the same type of girth.

Darin

bigpike

I have caught a few nice pike after spawn in spring, generally speaking a 42″ pike AFTER the spawn will wieght around 20-22#, in fall a specimen like that will have developing eggs and well fed, my guess is between 24 and 27 pounds. VERY VERY nice fish and awesome release!!!!!

bigpike

My Canada buddy’s and I call those fish “fatbacks”, because thats the first thing you see when you bring it to the boat- “Thats a fatback”…..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.