5/22 report

• John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Had a chance to get out for a few hours late Monday afternoon. I decided before I left that I wanted to spend some time casting crank baits and maybe pull some crawler harnesses around. Probably would have done better trolling, but decided to give some other tactics a go. Hit a 4 to 8 foot flat adjacent to a deep hole where I have been getting fish lately. The wind was blowing up into the shallows so I figured there should be some walleyes around.

I rigged up a crawler on a lindy rig and dragged it through the deeper water as I worked the shallows with a #7 shad rap RS. The crawler managed a white bass. My first walleye of the day went 24.5 inches, followed a few casts later by a 22 inch walleye. At that point the wind started to blow harder and the direction changed some so I switched over to pulling crawler harnesses on bottom bouncers. Right off the bat I boated a nice fat 17 inch sauger. After I lost 5 spinner rigs to the snags, I was about ready to switch gears again when I nailed a 21″ walleye. Those were my only two fish on crawlers.

For the last hour or so I went to trolling shad raps in some previously productive water but couldn’t coax anything over about 14 inches. I did manage both a 6 inch walleye and a 6 inch sauger on a #7 jointed shad rap.

All in all a great day to be out with warm temps and bright sun. Was much better than doing the work around the house I should have been doing. Here is a picture of the 24.5″ fish, though it was taken with my phone so it isn’t a very good picture. Best I could do by myself with a phone.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Nice report Mendota.
    It’s kind of fun playing around trying different things and seeing which techniques will work the best.
    Looks like it paid off for you with some nice size fish.

Boog

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Yah nice fish Jon. Did you get your lights figured out?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.