tough bite, but still fish to be caught

• John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Found a pretty tough bite on Lake Wisconsin today. Had to work hard for every fish we got. Ended the day with 12 keeper saugers and whiskerkev picked up one nice slot walleye. Not the biggest of slot fish, but very healthy. All of our fish except for 2 short fish came on plastics today. Various colors pulled fish, as did various body styles. Moxies, mini-moxies, and mini pulse-Rs all caught fish. Charteuse pepper probably caught the most, but fish also came on oystershell, purple chartreuse tail, purplecracker chartreuse tail, and probably a couple other colors I am forgetting we had out. On a day when a lot of guys would have bailed by 1:00, sticking with it until the end of the day resulted in a 12 keeper day compared to a 5 keeper day.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Way to stick with it and put ’em in the boat.

Unlike fishing in a river where you read that looking for current seams can be a good starting point for fishing plastics, as temps drop, do fish tend to go to the edges of holes in a body of water on a lake like you are on? I’m just guessing it is a different presentation without current.

Good job again.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

At least there starting to bite a little bit again after that front rolled through on Thursday night.

Friday was slow but Saturday was especially tough!

Glad to hear there biting again somewhat.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Thanks for taking me fishing again. I think I was lucky due to the king of the cats hat…

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

Way to stick with it and put ’em in the boat.

Unlike fishing in a river where you read that looking for current seams can be a good starting point for fishing plastics, as temps drop, do fish tend to go to the edges of holes in a body of water on a lake like you are on? I’m just guessing it is a different presentation without current.

Good job again.

For me, everything I do in fall relates to the bait fish and steep breaks. Once the temps hit the mid 40s, the small bait schools (shad, baby whitebass,etc) group into very large schools. Find the bait and the fish aren’t too far away. When fishing plastics, I find the baits need to be moving. Not so much up and down, but forward. Similar to dragging, but different at the same time.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Thanks for the extra info… congrats on yet another good day out there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.