Lake Vermilion – West End

• toddrun

Hello All,

I am spending a week with friends on the West end of Lake Vermilion in July. I have only fished Vermilion once in my life, the East end, Pike Bay and North, so very little experience on that great lake. I understand that the East and West ends are completely different in how they look, the structure, and how they fish. That said, I have no idea where to really start, what techniques, structure, etc…, when talking about the West end of the lake.

Anyone willing to give me some hints on what to look for, structure, what to use? I am a Walleye guy, but I typically fish Walleye until I am forced to fish something else to catch fish, and really just like fishing. I would enjoy even tossing lures after Smallies if I could find some willing biters.

Not asking for hot spots, just hints on where to look for Walleye first, or other fish if they are biting better, and techniques that work in July.

Appreciate any help anyone is willing to offer.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I think July should be setting up for a pretty good bite up there if you can dodge the bug hatch. I was up a couple weeks ago and the fish were in a transition between their shallow haunts and their summer locations. Although, the west end has weeds, and there will always be fish relating to those weeds.

Lindy and leeches around Center Bar, Strawberry Island, and Porcupine Island can be good bets. If you have trusty electronics, sharpshooting deeper fish with jigging raps can work well. Leadcore is popular in the summer on the west end and definitely catches fish, despite being relatively boring. Ill PM a bobber spot I found on the west end a couple weeks ago when I have more time later. Fun lake to figure out, good luck!

CaptainMusky

The West end is fun. Full of open water structure with reefs and bars, etc. The weedline bite should be still good then, but would likely be more of a early morning or evening bite vs mid day.

carver
    West Metro

Sent you a pm

Reef W

I think July should be setting up for a pretty good bite up there if you can dodge the bug hatch.

People on FM are saying the mayflies are just starting to show up now. I’ll be there this weekend (on east end) and update on how they are.

toddrun

Thanks for the info, I will enjoy just getting on that Big lake and searching around. Just my luck if the mayflies hatch?!?! Sometimes though that fires up the 1/2 crawler on slow death hook bite, I will make sure I have some of those.

Reef W

I’m on East end but haven’t seen any mayflies today.

carver
    West Metro

There was some on the my windows in wakemup this morning.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.