Lake trout slot?

• Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

Now that we put the state wide slot idea for walleyes out there. What are people’s thoughts about a slot for lake trout? I think 2 lakers or even 3 20-28 with one over 35. Thoughts?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Nada. Lakers don’t get the pressure walleyes do and many of those smaller fish are coming from some seriously deep water so mortaility rates climb when the surface water temp is high. Those lakers are wayyyyy more sensitive to handling than a walleye and it would seriously urine me off to start seeing those great fish floating on a lake. I can see a 2 fish, no slot limit though.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Well said Tom. On top of that every lake is vastl different in regards to the size of fish it can support.

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

I agree to some extent. However lake trout can survive a lot better coming out of deep water. That’s why they are able to fly up and down the water column. Trout swim bladder is very different than a walleyes swim bladder. As long as you take your time reeling in fish they have no problem making back with no harm. Handling themultiple you are right that you need to be careful but lake trout are fairly tough as far as trout are consearned rainbows are far more fragile.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Isn’t the limit already 2 for Lake Trout? I wouldn’t be opposed to a slot limit on lakers but like Tom said, when the surface water is warm and they came from 80-150FOW thats a huge temp difference and they don’t do well with that. Ice fishing is a different story. They are very hardy and have a low mortality rate when not hooked in the gills.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I haven’t ever heard of a lake in Minnesota that has an endangered number of Lake Trout so why screw with it. Why even bring it up? I’d have no problem with being able to keep only two fish and generally only keep one per outing anyway but the three fish limit as it stands now is enough of a safe-guard.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Pat….Lake Superior, Minnesota regs, the Trout limit is 3.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Tom, actually the statewide limit is 2. Superior is 3.

Attachments:
    1. image-1.png

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The only place I chase Lakers is Superior so the three is all I worry about. If the inland limit is two then for certain nothing needs to be amended. Limit-wise or size-wise.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.