Lake Trout In Northern Mn

• Patric Doyle
    Brainerd Lakes

Hey folks, I am both new to the sight and have never done any Lake Trout Fishing through the ice or from the boat. After watching the IDO team I am set on getting after them this year!

I have read on other earlier posts that I should look up Ben Putnam to find some guidance for easy walk on type access in the Ely area, but these posts seem out of date and his website is not active. Any current contact information for him would be greatly appreciated. Maybe he is no longer in the business? If so, does anyone have another go to person or contact for determining ice conditions and fishing reports and guidance in the BWCA and Duluth/Grand Marias areas?

Finally, I’ve seen some posts on this site regarding lures and equipment, could anyone give me additional pointers on what gear I will need to have a successful trip while after these monsters. Any tips are appreciated!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Welcome to IDO Patric!

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

Look up Steve Foss, he’s about the best in the area for chasing Lakers on Burntside. Snowbank is another good lake, more numbers than size. white tube jigs, big spoons, and dead ciscos if you can find a dealer.
    They are very fun to chase, I miss living in Ely more for the lakers than the eyes or smallies.

MnPat1

For good lake trout fishing your best bet is Ontario. You need a snowmobile, a couple rods, a flasher and a couple lures.

I would Check out Crawford’s camp for a good place to start.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I thought I read that Ben moved to the cities.

James Almquist

If your plan was to fish Burntside or Snowbank you will want a snowmobile due to the amount of snow on the lakes. Walking out is not a good option to get to the better spots. Be careful when cutting thru islands because the neck down areas will not have as much ice. My favorite for Burntside was a large yellow jigging Rapala down 1 hole and a cisco down the other. Plan on lots of hours with nothing on the graph. Some days they just don’t move much and other days it can be crazy with action. When you see them on the graph it time to play keep away. Start jigging it up and see if it will chase or hit your jig. I have had them chase up 30 – 50′ and hit it right below the ice. A good working drag is a must. If you get to the top start dropping your jig back down. The smaller trout will chase around but the bigger fish will just fly in and smack your lure. If you have a Marcum this is where the NBT (Narrow Beam Transducer) really shines. When fishing really steep drop offs your lure will get lost when you get down by the bottom and the NBT lets you see farther down the drop off. The scenery is some of the best in all of Minnesota. Bring a decent camera because there will be some cool opportunity’s. This was my biggest out of Burntside. Caught on a Yellow jigging Rap.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_5808ppc.jpg

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

that’s a big fish…with a smaller fish hanging out of it’s gill. lol

Patric Doyle
    Brainerd Lakes

Hey all, Thanks so much for the input! I appreciate the insight into tackle and equipment.

So would any of you guys say that it would be worth it to head to either of the lakes mentioned unguided and give it a shot? If so, what kind of structure should I be targeting? Seems I remember somebody saying steep drop offs? Thanks!

Kevin Yopp

I have relatively little experience fishing lake trout, and have had decent success on Burntside. I would not hesitate to give it a try … knowing in advance that the lakers seem to be “hot or not”. When they are turned on, it can be a blast. And when they are not active, you will still be in and enjoy a very special place. You could spend a few days up there trying different locations and never know whether or not you might get into them … that’s always incentive enough for me.

I have used a couple places that are 70 deep near some of the deeper holes and also near some islands/shorelines. If you have a good lake map you will be able to figure out what the popular spots are when you get there … there are usually indications where folks have been recently fishing. Just stay in the general area of the deepest holes in the lake, though not necessarily OVER those deepest holes. You could also drop by Great Outdoors in Ely to get their guidance. Good luck if you go!

Patric Doyle
    Brainerd Lakes

That was really helpful Kevin! Thanks. Keep the good advice coming everyone. I’m gaining some confidence already.

Forgot to mention: thanks for the picture James. I’d be really happy catching just one of those! Looks like Burntside is going to be on the list for this year.

Is there a time of year that is best for Lakers? Also, are there other “easy access” lakes that house Lakers? or is it mainly the ones mentioned?

Any insight into what makes Lakers “Hot or Not?”

Roy Heilman
    Minnesota

Is there a time of year that is best for Lakers? Also, are there other “easy access” lakes that house Lakers? or is it mainly the ones mentioned?

Any insight into what makes Lakers “Hot or Not?”

Seems all the best fishing I’ve had is when it’s damn cold outside, which agrees with advice I read before I ever tried it. The pics I have from our best days show us really bundled up. That’s probably the best general advice I could give, because like other fish and game, we take our chances when we go out, and might have to work to figure out what kind of mood they’re in. They’re not or they’re not when you show up. Lake trout are probably my favorite ice fishing quarry, so it’s definitely worth a try.

If you’re not married to the idea of going to Ely, you might try going over to the Grand Marais/Gunflint area, because there are a lot more lake trout lakes over there, and many are very accessible. I was hoping to go up there later this week, but with all the snow they got in the last week or so, I’m going to have to do some research first. Don’t want to go into a situation where there is a ton of water on the ice.

Good luck!

Kevin Yopp

You can check here for trout lakes … tho not all are lake trout lakes.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/trout_lakes/list.html

Here in the Grand Rapids area we have a few easy access lakes for lake trout … though you would not get the size that you might get further north/east. Caribou lake is easy to get onto and has a nice population of lakers and other species of trout. There are others worth looking into also. On the way to Caribou you’ll pass Kremer which holds splake, rainbows, browns and others. Relatively easy access there, too.

I’m sure there may be a weather pattern that best suits lake trout activity, but I haven’t figured it out. I go when I can go and that’s about it …

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.