Lake Reports?

• Jason Young

Heading up to Spring Bay Resorts on Vermilion on the 16th and we have never fished the lake but looking for any lake information or tips to make it a fun trip.
    Thanks

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

We always fish the east side (Spring Bay is on the west), but keeping it simple seems to work. Lindy rig with a red hook and fathead or rainbow chub will be what most people use in May. Unlike some southern lakes with lots of fish and lots of food, Vermilion has fewer fish (not walleye, just total biomass) so trust your electronics and don’t expect to see big schools. If you mark a few fish, give it a try. 4-10′ of water in the low light conditions and 10-18′ is typical during sunny days. The water is clearer now than it used to be, so make sure to be on the water at sun up and sun down if you want to put the odds in your favor.

Jason Young

Thanks for the info, I will reply back with how we did.

Jason Young

Any fishing reports from opening weekend?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

We aren’t heading up until Monday

Jason Young

I will be headed up tomorrow through sunday.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Continue to concentrate on shoreline fish right now… We have been seeing some fish moving to the mud to eat bugs as there hasn’t been a lot of forage in the shallows… so its kind of a shallow to deep during the day. Our clear water lakes we actually hold the boat in 30′ fishing down the breaks

Mark

Walleye Hungry

Any up to date reports? I am heading up this weekend for my first vermilion experience. from what i understand is they are still shallow and jig and minnow/leech are probably the best options?

Also, does anyone know where i can rent a cheap boat for the day? Everything i see is over $100 with everything on it. all i need is a 14ft aluminum boat. I will have my humminbird with lake map so navigation will not be an issue.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I can’t help much for boat rental prices. Shamrock, Grubens, Pike Bay Lodge and others rent boats. I am shocked at the rental prices these days.

We were shocked to find water temps were 65 degrees. We fished from 5/21-5/23 and did OK. The first day we fished deep (30′ or deeper) and only caught small fish. The next two days we focused on 14-20′ of water on steep points and narrows and did much better. No giants, but several limits of 15-17″ fish.

It was 70-80 degrees with zero clouds and no wind, so the weather was great for a tan, not the best for fishing, but they were still biting all day.

Walleye Hungry

Thanks for the update Dave. I am heading up after work and hope to fish from shore tonight. Hopefully will be fishing by boat in the morning before the rain moves in.

Any last minute tips and tricks from anyone else? haha

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Rainbows seemed to be preferred over shiner or fatheads. I wouldn’t be afraid to try leeches or crawlers. What part of the lake do you plan to fish?

Walleye Hungry

we will be staying at hoodoo point so around there is where i will be fishing. I have never been on the lake so venturing far out will not be in the plans this weekend….unless the fishing is too slow haha

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Water temps were hot, there might not be a ton of fish around Hoodoo Point, but hopefully you find some!!! There is some decent deep water just west of Cherry Island that might be worth a look. That is right outside Pike Bay.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Dave when you were up on vermilion were you vertical jigging the 14 to 20 or were you pulling smells and Lindys

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Replied to the PM too, no secret, lindys with rainbows and jigging raps. But a lot might have changed over the last 2 weeks, especially this year.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We were up all week just came home today we caught our limits every day. Basically set up and fished wind blown bays and points. Leeches were the ticket

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Nice work! Any bigger fish?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

1 my son caught was 28 but skinny. We caught many they were 15 to 17. And a bunch that were small. We followed the wind everyday. We never really caught fish in the same spot for more then a day. If we hit them good in the evening it was like a ghost town the next morning. But they were not to hard to find if you just followed the wind

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Even a skinny 28 is a fish to be proud of! applause

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Oh agreed he is 7 and had just a blast. I for sure thought he was gonna loose it with the way he was ripping it out but he was lucky to have a good net man

toddrun

Any fishing reports from the week on Big V? Heading up in the morning for the week with the extended family. Sounds like the weekend weather is going to suck, but then the rest of the week with be better. So hoping we can find some biting fish somewhere.

Jason Young

Forgot to reply back after the trip back in May but most walleyes were caught in the east side of the narrows closer to Big Bay. Crappies were caught up in Black Bay (12-14″).

Attachments:
    1. 20180519_160948.jpg

2. 20180518_114242.jpg

3. 35025.jpg

4. 34990.jpg

5. 20180516_165101.jpg

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.