Lake Pepin trolling bite

• bitzenguy
    ROCHESTER

Tonight will be my first time out this year. Could anyone please give any info on current water temps and if the water was cleaned up a little? I see that the water level has come down a bit from last week So I thought I would try trolling some Flicker Shads around Lake City and along Mn shore south of town.
    Does anyone have any helpful information?
    Thank You!!

404 ERROR
    MN

I’m not sure about that far south, but the trolling bite on the north end of the lake wasn’t as good as I had hoped. I can’t remember the exact water temp, but I think it was around 65 on Saturday. Water on the north end was murky, I’m guessing it is much better by lake City.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I trolled almost an hour and half yesterday along the Wi side north from Pepin to Bogus Creek area without a bite. I saw very few fish caught by others in the areas I was fishing.

Depth: 9′ – 14′
    Water temps: low 70’s
    Debris: no issues other than a few weeds.
    There were several sicks floating around but never saw any large debris in the water.

Good luck

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

I stunk it up pretty bad yesterday. Water temps were low to mid 70’s. Fished many areas. North had dirty water but in general lots of debris in the water.

trev07

Fishing was OK for me yesterday. The past two weekends had been pretty good but with primarily saugers. Yesterday though, I only boated 2 saugers but 13 walleye, all in the same areas I’ve been fishing. On a side note however, all but two of the walleyes were shorts. Also found a few white bass, a couple jumbo perch and a channel catfish on bottom bouncers yesterday afternoon.

Like Dave mentioned, watch for floating debris, there is still a fair amount of large trees/sticks coming down.

bitzenguy
    ROCHESTER

Thanks for the help guys, It doesn’t sound like I will need an extra net man tonight but I am excited to get out and try my new trolling rods and line counter reels. I have never used them before so it will be something new for me.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I was out over the weekend and had relatively slow fishing. We managed 3 eater sized fish, one 21″ eye to release, and maybe 4 or 5 shorts in a full morning outing. I had decent water clarity but plenty of weeds. Water temperatures in the high 60s.

I tried trolling for a good hour with nothing to show for it except a couple white bass.

One thing that was interesting was that not one of the fish were saugers. Overall I was hoping for more action, but it was good to be out. With the dropping water levels and warmer water temperatures, the pleasure boat traffic will pick up exponentially. I’ll be focusing my fishing efforts on mostly weekdays from now through September. I cannot stand boaters that do not know what they are doing at area landings or on the water.

matt

Did very good trolling around Lake City last week,even pulled a few nice walleyes in front of the landing.It was pretty windy so I hit the windblown shorelines and points anywhere from 5′-12′.Kept 4,threw back a bunch 19″ on up with 24″ being the biggest.Caught alot of shorts,some decent saugers,a handfull of white bass,sheepies,crappies and a few pike.Salmo hornets and smash shads worked well but caught fish on pretty much every lure I pulled.

Attachments:
    1. 20170530_155220.jpg

2. 20170531_212024.jpg

3. 20170531_002735.jpg

walleyeguy000
    Rochester, MN

74-75 degree water temp on Sunday. Caught few. Kinda slow compared to last few times out

404 ERROR
    MN

Did very good trolling around Lake City last week,even pulled a few nice walleyes in front of the landing.It was pretty windy so I hit the windblown shorelines and points anywhere from 5′-12′.Kept 4,threw back a bunch 19″ on up with 24″ being the biggest.Caught alot of shorts,some decent saugers,a handfull of white bass,sheepies,crappies and a few pike. Salmo hornets and smash shads worked well but caught fish on pretty much every lure I pulled.

I see someone also took advantage of the 50% off smash shads at FF…I bought over 30 of the buggers! Great bait for $2.15! Good to hear you did well.
    peace

phoyem
    Minneapolis

We were out for a few hours memorial day weekend with a mixed bag of various species fish and some eater walleye on the sand flats ~12′ just north of pepin trolling lead. Did manage this chunky 25” fish.

Attachments:
    1. 18765909_10156205387926040_2575916154431632353_n.jpg

bitzenguy
    ROCHESTER

Last night was slow for me. I caught 4 fish. 3 Walleyes and 1 sauger. biggest was 15″
    I started out trolling crankbaits by Roeshen Landing and got one small sauger. After and hour I headed over by Deer Island and switched over to a Dubuque rig,
    I caught the 3 walleyes in about 14′

I am confused with my new line counter reels. By looking at the Flicker shad depth chart in size 7, I should have to let out approx 60 – 65′ of line to reach 10′ depth. But I didn’t hit bottom until I was at like 130′
    I know that all line counters are not extremely accurate but this seemed like alot.
    Help??

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

It all depends on what size flicker shad you are running. If it is a small #4 or #5 on a thicker diameter line that will happen. A #7 Flicker shad even on 20lb. braid should be no more then 80 feet back

bitzenguy
    ROCHESTER

Perhaps I am a goober and these were size 5’s? I thought I was pulling 7’s

I am running 10# xt

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Are you sure the crank was well tuned? Those numbers are assuming perfectly tuned cranks. Even slightly out of tune cranks run much shallower as they pull to the sides.

bitzenguy
    ROCHESTER

I was thinking about that after I read about them probably being out of tune this morning.
    I will have to check them because I just tied them on and threw them in the water and went.
    Another newbie mistake I guess.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

“I see someone also took advantage of the 50% off smash shads at FF…I bought over 30 of the buggers! Great bait for $2.15! Good to hear you did well.”

How long ago was this?

404 ERROR
    MN

How long ago was this?

Clearance section, they’ve been there for over 3 weeks now. Pretty well picked over by now I’m sure. Got about 20 hot-n-tots and 30 Smash shads. Also got a half dozen or so deep diving scatter raps for $3/ea and some 5SDR hornets for $4.50.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fish-them-all wrote:</div>
    How long ago was this?

Clearance section, they’ve been there for over 3 weeks now. Pretty well picked over by now I’m sure. Got about 20 hot-n-tots and 30 Smash shads. Also got a half dozen or so deep diving scatter raps for $3/ea and some 5SDR hornets for $4.50.

Cool, i did find a few there too. Mostly the smaller sizes though with a few in the pink and purple holographic colors. I was hoping to read a store near you had a bunch in stock and on sale. I still have not heard why they are not in stock any more.

Jonesy

Are you sure the crank was well tuned? Those numbers are assuming perfectly tuned cranks. Even slightly out of tune cranks run much shallower as they pull to the sides.

I’d say every flicker shad I have I have to let more line out than what precision trolling says.

bitzenguy
    ROCHESTER

I am pretty sure that I was pulling them all wrong. I am Not an experienced troller and there are physics involved that I was not smart enough to figure out.
    I guy that I work with is very knowledgeable and clued me in yesterday.
    I was setting the rods in the holders and opening the bail on both of my line counters and letting the line out as the boat moves forward. So I wasn’t pulling the bait down essentially until I engaged the reel. By that time there was so much line out that there was probably enough buoyancy in the line and bow to the line, that my bait never even came close to getting to the bottom. As well as I did not check my baits for tracking.
    Lesson learned!!!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have used nothing but Denver rigs when trolling P4 the last few years. Ever since I found out about them here on IDO. Granted I only go there a couple times per summer at best but I cant imagine a better setup for trolling there and catching fish. I’ll be ready to get down there come July.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I am pretty sure that I was pulling them all wrong. I am Not an experienced troller and there are physics involved that I was not smart enough to figure out.
    I guy that I work with is very knowledgeable and clued me in yesterday.
    I was setting the rods in the holders and opening the bail on both of my line counters and letting the line out as the boat moves forward. So I wasn’t pulling the bait down essentially until I engaged the reel. By that time there was so much line out that there was probably enough buoyancy in the line and bow to the line, that my bait never even came close to getting to the bottom. As well as I did not check my baits for tracking.
    Lesson learned!!!!

Do you care to share your co-workers advice? I’m fairly inexperienced long-lining. I’ve had some success but it could definitely be better, and I’ve been using a similar method to yours, with a slight modification: I open the bail and let the line go back maybe about 20 feet or so, then close the bail to get tension and start the dive. Once that seems to level out, I flip off the anti reverse and let the line go back that way. I’m curious to know if your co-worker had other ideas or additional pointers. Always looking to improve!

bradl110

I have used nothing but Denver rigs when trolling P4 the last few years. Ever since I found out about them here on IDO. Granted I only go there a couple times per summer at best but I cant imagine a better setup for trolling there and catching fish. I’ll be ready to get down there come July.

<div class=”oembed-wrap”><div class=”fluid-width-video-wrapper” style=”padding-top: 56.2353%;”><iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/jB9fdRVyPOQ?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”” id=”fitvid137296″></iframe></div></div>

What the heck is Dean doing in a Ranger. HAHA!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I am confused with my new line counter reels. B

I calibrated all my line counters about three weeks ago. Made a huge difference for me. Now when running multiple rods I have full confidence they’re running the depth they should be, and identically between all rods.

Easy to do

casey walters
    Mapleton, MN

Any new reports? Going to try tomorrow.

404 ERROR
    MN

Brother was out yesterday near lake city. Bottom bouncers with a crawler harness or leeches were doing very well he said. Biggest was 19″.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Busted ! :] Wow, that brings back memories !!!!

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bradl110 wrote:</div>

Busted ! :] Wow, that brings back memories !!!!

YEAH SHEEEEEPPIES that the memory you are talking about.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.