Lake Pepin this weekend

• asch
    Eastern Iowa

We are headed to Pepin this weekend. Will the rapidly rising water shut off the fishing completely?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Well its at 4.85′ as of this post and the forecast is for around 8′ by Sunday. Must not got much rain North of Red Wing? I hope to be out Friday to see if I can find some cooperative fish, mainly eyes. I think a little more flow in the system would help the bite. If anything is going to shut off a bite its the heat and stagnant and slow water. Looking forward to not having sweat running off my face for a change. South of Winona may be a different story.
    I can certainly let you know how I do Friday night but I’m sure there are guys here that have more experience with rising water and effects on fishing. I guess it won’t stop me but I’m an hour away.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Not related to rising water but does pepin see a steep drop in traffic now post labor day?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Not related to rising water but does pepin see a steep drop in traffic now post labor day?

I can only hope. Once the duck and deer opener comes, I have had days that I don’t see 1 boat.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I think the rising water could affect the bite but I would look for cleaner water and work that hard. Cover water with crankbaits and you will find fish.

The fishing never completely shuts off. Just be prepared to move and change tactics.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>poomunk wrote:</div>

I can only hope. Once the duck and deer opener comes, I have had days that I don’t see 1 boat.

Wasn’t sure about pepin, I’ve been on castle rock a week after labor day before and it’s like a ghost town compared to any weekend june-august. Would like to get another outing or two with the family before the woods draws me in come mid october. We tried pepin the first time this may and did descent considering I’d never fished it.

asch
    Eastern Iowa

Thanks for your replies. We had a good weekend. The water didn’t go as high as predicted and there was little boat traffic other than a lot of sailboats on Saturday and they weren’t a problem. We got a few walleyes and crappies early in the morning pulling cranks and found some really nice gills and perch later in the day.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.