Lake pepin 6-8-19

• Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Sounds like quite a few of you are going to be out there. I’m planning to launch out of roschen park Saturday morning. Will have a black palm beach pontoon with rods sticking up everywhere. Stop by and say hi! Good luck and post any more tips here or PM me if you want!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

i expect some reports from saturday! I have a 4 day weekend but I will be lucky to get out sunday or tuesday. Good luck out there.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I will try to report Saturday night or Sunday morning.

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

Just a heads up there is a tournament out of roshen park in the morning. Not sure how many boats but usually about 40. I think the launch/start is at 7am-2pm

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks for the heads up, colville or hoksilla have a cleaning station?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I thought Colvill had a cleaning station but I can’t find it on their website.

With a little luck Red Wing is planning on having the launch open on Friday.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks BK! What are you up to this weekend? Am I going to run into you on the water?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

HWY 61 is a mess just South of Lake City. They’re laying blacktop/resurfacing a big part of it this weekend. Let’s just say I did an extensive hand washing of the boat just now. With one lane closed, it took ~45 minutes to go 12 miles. I wouldn’t pull an expensive boat on that road until it’s finished. You could just hear gravel and tar flying and hitting the boat and truck with every passing car while we waited.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks, what’s the best way to get from lake city to the brewery at reads landing? No boat in tow.

Andrew Swan

Does anyone know if bay city landing is open? Thanks

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Thanks, what’s the best way to get from lake city to the brewery at reads landing? No boat in tow.

Probably just endure the construction and go right down HWY 61 if you don’t have a boat behind you. It all depends on which section of road they’re working on on a given day. I believe everything from nearly Kellogg to Lake City is being redone at some point this Summer, with HWY 61 being completely closed for a while in July.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thanks BK! What are you up to this weekend? Am I going to run into you on the water?

I’ll be in the camper later today until the FW gets down there with her Friday Night Shoes on. Tomorrow is a Red Wing Marina Pontoon trip from 10-2. I’m not sure where they want to go yet. I doubt we’ll be as far South as Lake City.

Hopefully we’ll have the camper out Saturday afternoon.

What color/make/model of a float will you be in? PM me if you like.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Black palm beach pontoon with rods sticking up everywhere! Not sure how far north we will get. I will keep my eyes peeled! Enjoy the weekend everyone!

matt

Was out yesterday,wasnt great wasnt terrible.Flat calm-some wind would have helped.Kept a few,lots of shorts/small saugers no real big ones 22 biggest.Wisc side was best for me.#4,4.5 hornets,#5 shad raps no color seemed better than another.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks Matt, reads landing brewing was amazing!

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

Pulled bait (minnows, leeches and worms all worked) today for a few hours this morning. Fished long point which was poor. Maiden Rock not bad for the short time we were there with 4 keepers. Fair amount of drum. 8-12 fow seemed to be the best. Water is very dirty and strewn with debris and logs. Now is not the time to “let her go”.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Better luck pulling up stream or down?

matt

Pulling crankbaits was 50/50 up/down for me,didnt seem to matter.About the time I thought downstream was better started catching fish going upstream,caught quite a few going east and west also.Kind of an odd day color,speed,location,or direction really seemed to make a big difference.Caught fish everywhere I went and on every bait,speed,and direction tried.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Yes the Bay City ramp is open

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Be going out of bay city tomorrow about 9am….look for a bronze/silver reata with a talon and say hi if you are down there.

Maiden river voyage for the new Ranger!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Good luck! We had decent action today pulling cranks. Never put the entire program together, but kept some decent sauger. I will be back someday.

Waiting4retirement

Launched for Hok Si Lah pulled cranks and dub. Rigs with jigs. New to walleye fishing and the river. Had no luck with cranks and little luck with jigs. 2 eyes and 2 foot long crappies. I think I need to run my cranks deeper had a 1/2 ounce sinker with a #5 Rapala one one rod and a Salamo 14-18 diver on another rod. I did notice that half the boats on the river were right off the point at Hok. Does anybody care to share the techniques used to fish that?

holstc

Fished the lake today. Steady action until the wind died. Wind blown sand flats and anything crome blue seemed to work. 10-13’ just outside weed edge seemed best.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Fished the lake today. Steady action until the wind died. Wind blown sand flats and anything crome blue seemed to work. 10-13’ just outside weed edge seemed best.

that’s pretty much what we were doing, color didn’t really matter, couldn’t find the walleye.

shockers
    Rochester

Fished crawlers 6/7. 6 nice keeper eyes. All came in less than 10 feet.

Today… much slower for me. Made the mistake of launching out of Roschen as tournament started. Whew.

Beautiful weather both days.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

We snuck out amongst the crowds for ~3 hours this morning. My boat will be back to strictly weekday outings as the water drops and the number of people on the water increases. There’s still debris floating around so use caution even as the water comes down.

I’m not going to share a report as some IDOers were upset when I mentioned “releasing legal fish” earlier this week.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Hope you found some fish bucky!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

We did ok today. Windier on some of the points and shorelines the better. The sheepies were impossible to keep off the hooks, though. Caught some absolute monsters so that kept us entertained.

Couldn’t really get a solid pattern together with colors or depths. I’m not super familiar trolling the lake so I’d call it a successful day. Waiting for p2 to finally open back up again.

Attachments:
    1. AB706707-6B7F-43D2-B358-742A26758B8A.jpeg

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

had a fun day on Saturday really needed a net person got 8 really nice fish all released unharmed best was leech going down stream. launch from hok si la, beautiful day

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.