Lake of the woods, weekend weather

• Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I was hoping to take my daughters up on Sunday out of long point. I’m a little concerned about the forecast. Do you think 10 to 20 out of the WSW is a deal breaker? Maybe someone that fishes it often would have an idea of what the conditions on the lake would be. Thanks!

Attachments:
    1. 1367A5A7-5977-427D-AD3C-E8CDD279BE9E.png

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m no LOTW expert like many here. My advice would be to be sure that you and your guests are completely comfortable being out there in the conditions or you won’t enjoy it at all. The other crucial parts you left out are what you’d be out there in for a boat and what your experience is on big water.

The rule of thumb I use as I get older is “If I have to think twice about it, it’s probably not a good idea or won’t be enjoyable.”

Justin Donson

Add 5-10 mph on whatever the wind forecast says for Baudette. The most accurate(still not great) wind forecast is normally out of ‘Northwest Angle Inlet, MN’ which can be found on some weather apps.

WSW might be a saving grace out of Long Point, but you’ll need to just fish East/SE from the harbor. Expect 15-30 mph winds and hope to be pleasantly surprised. I wouldn’t even think about getting around or north of long point with those winds. Which puts most of the reef fishing out of reach.

There’s fish all over that lake though. I’d probably try the ~20ft break and move around until I found some fish, which will keep you close to shore and hopefully out of the wind. Very few people fish shallow on LOTW in summer, but I think there’s more fish there than people think. If you have lead or deep diving cranks I’d be tempted to troll in the 10-20′ depth and just see what you run into.

Otherwise, certain times of year the green buoy area out from long point holds fish in that 27-30 ft range, not sure if they’ll be there then.

With that wind, I think a lot of the ‘sit in one spot on top of fish’ spots are probably out of reach, so I’d think outside the box and cover some ground!

In the end, be ready to adjust quick. We’ve had weekends where we almost cancel our trip based on 20-30 mph wind forecasts and we wake up the next day to no wind. And we’ve had the opposite. With temps so hot though, I think storms could develop quick, DO NOT BE AFRAID TO PULL THE PLUG EARLY if it looks like weather is coming. Things get bad QUICK on LOTW.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Thanks guys, I’ll be in a 175 competitor tiller. I’m fairly comfortable on big water but not sure the kids would be if there hanging on for their lives ! Lol

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.