Lake of the Woods June Report

• Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

Day one of the annual trip was a success! After what seemed like an eternity of pavement and then twice of an eternity of gravel, we made it to Young’s Bay. We headed right for the great white north and it didn’t disappoint! The first few spots held mixed results but we finally hit the honey hole! We found an astounding rock to mud transition with a ton of fish showing up on the graph. Not too long into the outing my dad landed a great eye out of 22′.

It was also the first outing in his new rig, a Larson 2020 FX, which proved to be an amazing boat.

We ended up getting into a really fun approach to open water fishing….it ended up being exactly like ice fishing in a boat. The wind was whipping pretty good, and we were jigging right under transducer and working fish up 4 or 5 feet off of the bottom and they would tentatively latch on. Pretty much identical to using a flasher! Not the most ideal conditions but it was what made the difference. A full night crawler on a 1/16 oz jig. I hate to boast about equipment too much but between the new Garmin fish finders and the Motorguide Xi5, I couldn’t believe how awesome it turned out to be!

Rain is in the forecast but I can’t wait to get out there for a full day!

Attachments:
    1. LOTW-Report-1-1-of-2.jpg

2. LOTW-Report-1-2-of-2.jpg

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

It’s great to see you getting out with the newly retired Don! Enjoy every minute of it. We’ll be piling up your work for you for when you get back. rotflol

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.