Lake Michigan is HOT! Big Kings this year……

• to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

After moving to California last October, I’ve been spending all my weekends figuring out how to catch stripers, Kokanee, Rainbow’s, Florida Strain LMB, etc, but it was nice to get back to WI last week for our annual trip to Lake Michigan.

We fished from Wed Morning through Saturday morning and boated 40+ fish with a nice mix of Kings and Bows. The biggest King was 25 lbs and the biggest bow was 9 lbs, but we had 5 or 6 Kings over 20, so big fish are around this year and make for some really fun battles.

What worked? Everything! downriggers from 30 to 50 down, Dipsies 65 to 100 ft back, 3, 5, 7 color lead, etc. We had equal success on spoons and flasher/fly’s. Moonshine RV series spoons did well in the low light periods and during full sun the Kings and bows seemed to like gold and deep red spoons.

Saturday morning was especially fun with the most acrobatic Bow’s I’ve ever seen. We probably hooked about 15 of these buggers and only managed to get 7 into the boat. They were airing it out easily 5 ft out of the water, even at the end of the fight right behind the boat when we were trying to net them. Super fun time! If you get a chance, this seems like a good time to head over for some action!

Attachments:
    1. TO.jpg

2. 20160715_085627.jpg

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

more pics

Attachments:
    1. TO-1.jpg

2. 2016-salmon.jpg

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

one more

Attachments:
    1. 20160715_134628.jpg

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Nice job to_setter! Sure has been a fun year out there. Everybody keeps telling me that it’s like the “good ol days”, but I wasn’t around for those.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Good ‘Ole days…..just a heck of a lot smaller.

I haven’t encountered water warmer than 54 degrees yet this year. (Yes, warm surface..but much cooler 10 to 30feet down.

Sunday morning we had 41.7 degree water in 60 fow, 35 feet down. Chilly

jetro
    Mayer, MN

Very nice fish! What area were you fishing? Heading up to Door county in a couple weeks.

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

We were in Sturgeon Bay. The water was chilly for sure. for the most part we found 41 degrees down 50, but if you could find a pocket of warmer water even if only a few degrees, that’s where the fish were.

jetro
    Mayer, MN

Ok, Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.