Lake Atapapaskow report

• tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I have talked about Lake Athapapuskow in Flin Flon Manitoba when people have posted about a Canadian trip and do not think there is better fishing anywhere, so I thought a fishing report was in order. You can get walleyes, notherns and the lake is a world class Lake Trout Lake. Manitoba has a master angler program and in one of the trips I dreamed up the idea of the Trifecta which consists of a master laker, northern and walleye in one trip. While the boat has done many trifecta over the years not one individual person has been able to pull it off until this year. I barely was able to pull it off with a 42″ nothern, 35″ lake trout and 28″ walleye. This is all done on a drive to lake and I fish out of my boat. Pictured is the northern, laker and my brother and son with a 30.5″ walleye. We caught 8 walleyes 28″ or above, 2-30.5″. 7-Northerns over 40″ we did not get a big one this year although 3 were 42″ and we did not fish that much for them. Trout fishing was tough this trip and did not catch a lot like past years but was able to catch 35″. It is a long drive but not very expensive when compared to a fly in and the fishing is as good.

Attachments:
    1. P1010094_1423.jpg

2. P1010061_1433.jpg

3. P1010066_1429.jpg

James Riley

Hi Tomr,

Fellow Minnesotan here ( living in Colorado now) Headed up to Flin FLon area this June. Was wondering if you had any advice on lakes we should try in the area? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks In Advance

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Thanks for sharing Tomr, I might have to put that on my radar.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Do you have a bit more info?

What resort?
    How many miles / hours from Mpls?
    What time of year do you go?

Nice fish, looks like a good time.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Oh crap…………….just saw the thread was from 2015! doah

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Hi James where are you staying? There are so many great lakes in the area depends on what you want to catch and size. June is great time to fish athapapaskow and I would be happy to point you to a few areas we have had a lot of success at over the years. I have always stayed at Paradise Lodge on little athapapaskow where we have caught the walleyes and northern. The big lake for the trout. We have caught trout up to 42.5″, notherns 45″ and walleyes to 30.5″. Dutchboy it is long drive, but worth it, 900 miles from my house to the lodge, have gone different times seems June is consistently the best fishing. Weather can be snowing to short sleeve weather. Lots of lakes in the area and if you forget anything Flin Flon is close by and is a pretty good size town which is surprising as you drive through hundreds of miles of nothing but pine trees to get there. Good roads all the way, I would highly recommend this trip to anyone. Yes it is a long drive but you get to fish out of your boat and the fishing is better than most of the fly in fishing shows that are on TV. I also will probably be going this June so I will post another report.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.