Lac qui Parle advice

• tim hurley

Would like some advice on this rez. supposed to be good for crappies or walleyes (some years the walleyes are strong other years the crappies) Big pike sometimes too I guess. Would like to drive or walk to a spot(no ATV). Would hire a guide if anyone knows a good one for the area. Lodging ideas????—–Thanks

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

One of my favorite fisheries to play on. But some times it may take a day or 2 to find the fish. But I’ve never had a bad trip out that way. I’ve seen monster pike, 16 inch crappies and a 29 inch walleye all in 1 weekend. I would suggest a guide for sure. Personally have never hired one but it’s a great idea.

These 2 and about 6 more all came through late 1 night.

Attachments:
    1. DF12E558-.jpg

Scott Olson
    Effie, MN

I have been thinking about trying it too and I believe Watson Hunting Camp has guides and I think Milan Beach Resort rents ice houses. Miltyng’s Bait & Tackle may be worth a call. Let us know how you do and what ice conditions are like.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

You may want to call down before coming. They got a ton of snow on that storm around New Years and it was a mess out there. Buddy told me you could only get around with tracks, but hoping with this warm up it melted a lot of that off. Walleye’s have been down up there for a few years. Crappies are hit or miss, but they do have some big ones if you get into them. Only guides I know are out of Watson’s. I’m not sure how much actual fish guiding they do in the winter besides their rentals, but hear good things out of their waterfowl hunts.

SW Eyes

My favorite and most fished lake.

Hasn’t been as good this year as past years for crappies. Since the secret has gotten out, I’ve seen a noticeable decrease in average size and quantity. A ton of pressure/harvest. Still there, you can find them, just not insanely good fishing like a few years ago. Not going to sit and catch a half-dozen 15 inchers in a night anymore.

Walleyes have been hot at times this year. Very hot early ice. I’ve had some great days. But, you can run into long stretches of brutal fishing. Solid numbers though, and you almost assuredly pick up a couple eaters every day. Don’t expect a Lake of the Woods or Red Lake bite.

Northern aren’t as abundant as they once were as well, but you’ll still get into a nice one occasionally. If you’re not familiar with the northern regs, make sure you check them before keeping any.

You may also run into the rogue channel cat, which is a blast.

You’ll mark fish like crazy, but much of the time they won’t respond to anything. Chances are you’ll leave wondering what your doing wrong. Typically, unless the conditions are perfect, there are short bite windows around sunrise/sunset when the fish are active. Outside of that, bring a book. I’d just mentally prepare for that now. It’s always been a lake of peaks and valleys from year to year. You’ll swear it’s a world class lake some years, a Dead Sea others.

It definitely fishes differently than most are used to. Not much structure. If youre lucky, a local will point you in the right direction (but good luck with that). My go-to color is pink, and usually something that rattles. Size/type will vary, throw a lot of different profiles.

Volden’s pit access and north Milan bridge access have roads plowed(last I was out). All of the other accesses were tough. I’d imagine by now there are plenty of beaten paths, you’ll just have to stay on them to guarantee passage.

Good luck, I’d love to hear how you did.

zooks

SW Eyes has it, very good and very fair description of what to expect.

X2 on the snow and travel conditions – I know my dad and friends are having a hard time getting around on Big Stone, seeing a fair amount of slush, drifting, and heaves and said ice conditions are tough in most of the area.

tornadochaser

SW Eyes nailed it.

It’s a lake that can produce some really fun fishing, but it’s also a lake that rewards you for putting time in and learning how to fish it. A lot of techniques we fish on shallow lakes here in SD really transfer well to LQP. Mainly, you can find at least a few walleye up shallow any time of the year.
    Pressure has done a number on the crappie…but that happens on every lake in the area every 3-4 years. You get used to it when you fish an area populated with farmers and road construction workers who have a lot of time to fish during the winter, and like to bring all of their friends to a good bite. That doesn’t mean that a big group of houses means a really hot bite though; often it’s monkey see monkey do, coupled with the social aspect of guys knowing each other.

zooks

Pressure has done a number on the crappie…but that happens on every lake in the area every 3-4 years. You get used to it when you fish an area populated with farmers and road construction workers who have a lot of time to fish during the winter, and like to bring all of their friends to a good bite. That doesn’t mean that a big group of houses means a really hot bite though; often it’s monkey see monkey do, coupled with the social aspect of guys knowing each other.

I’m actually a little excited that the snow has impacted ice travel out there, all those lakes take a pounding in the winter if there’s no snow and a season or two of light pressure noticeably helps the fish populations.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

Agreed. The walleyes need a few years off to hopefully rebound to where they were a decade ago.

Mos’

Awesome to see LQP brought up here. Just echoing whats been said above – some days seems like its a top 5 fishery in Minnesota and other days couldn’t buy a bite for anything. For a shallow lake I have had more success vertical jigging then some might expect. Pitching jigs similar to Big Stone type fishing has been successful for me after I have determined a productive stretch of shoreline via trolling.

Seemed like a better bite for me May into June – could never figure the fall bite (could be avoiding all the BBs flying at that time!)

I missed opener the past 2 years there, do boats still fill in under Milan Bridge?

404 ERROR
    MN

Reading through this thread is beginning to change my mind on heading there the 25th-28th this month…

tim hurley

I’m starting to change my mind too-crappies down, walters down-pike-sometimes-laid of construction workers ‘hammering’ the lake-dang!
    Thanks for all the feedback and help though-might make some phone calls.

tornadochaser

Don’t let it discourage you from going, it’s not like it’s void of fish. But it’s a big lake, and can be a little tough to get around on and find active fish, but if you have 2-3 days plus nights, you should be able to put a pattern together. IF nothing else, go try other lakes in the area. Artichoke, Oliver, Henry, Page, Emily, Long, Waska, or some of the sloughs up north of Ortonville. Plenty of good fishing to be had with quality year classes of walleye, crappie, perch, bluegill to be had in western & west central MN. I honestly wonder why so many guys keep driving past some of these lakes just to catch 15″ walleye on Bitter or 9″ perch on big stone.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

Was on the lake last night. Plenty of ice to drive around on, I had my ATV and could go anywhere with that. Trucks were driving around on the paths. Got away from the crowds and caught a few eyes. All were small and one in the mid 20’s. Marked many others but pretty tight lipped

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Anyone been out? Curious for a fresh ice depth and driving conditions report. Thanks.

bear5

Great info. I might try LQP tomorrow afternoon- i’ll report back with conditions if I remember to!

bear5

lots of snow on the lake, but luckily there was a plowed road on the ice from boyds landing otherwise i wouldn’t have went out with my truck. when i did depart the plowed trail i found the snow to be decently hard, so i wasn’t sinking in too bad. only ventured about 30 yards off the plowed road though. Crappies and white bass were biting, not much for size though. kept 2 crappies (11-13″) and 1 walleye (15″). fished from 11:30am to 6pm. Good luck!

tim hurley

Tornadochaser-Was flipping threw Outdoor News and some guy had a 15incher from a lake ‘near’ LQP-so I think your right probably some good ones in the area.

tornadochaser

Tornadochaser-Was flipping threw Outdoor News and some guy had a 15incher from a lake ‘near’ LQP-so I think your right probably some good ones in the area.

There’s 1 or 2 lakes where you have a good chance of a 15″ white crappie and 14″+ black crappie if you put your time in around that area, especially running small crankbaits over thick weeds in the summer. We shore fished for crappies when I was a kid, and the “rule” was, if the nose and tail didn’t extend past each side of your bucket, it wasn’t a keeper…thinking about that, it means we were only keeping 12-12.5″ and larger. neutral

minnphatts

Has anyone been out on LQP lately and have any current updates on driving/access conditions on the lake? I know they’re tough almost everywhere. We’ve got a full size truck and portables, wondering how they’ll be by the weekend.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

Was out there last weekend for the fish tourney before the last two rounds of snow down here. Its very rough getting around and quite frankly I wouldn’t try it as you’ll be shoveling quite a bit. There was a plowed road out of Boyd’s landing to the Sag, but that’s about it. If you had a 4 wheeler you would maybe stay on top of most of the snow pack, but not a truck. Saw a few people driving down the lake and were getting stuck unless they were going about 20 and beating the crap out of their truck.

minnphatts

Thanks for the update Bigwalleye30!

I figured they also plowed from Volden’s Pit to the tournament area last weekend? Though the fish down there have seen quite a few baits over the last week ;)

Bigwalleye30
    MN

They did have it plowed out from Volden’s and around the fishing area, so that’s an option, but typically no one fishes there. Had some buddies stay over with their house both Friday & Saturday just outside the tourney area and they had no luck.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

thinking of going there after fishing the tournament. sounds like I might have a hard time pulling a wheel house out. any update on ice conditions would be great.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

wow just noticed the year on that post. but any currant info would be nice.

Jensen

Stick to the plowed roads and paths and you will be fine.

FishingTime

Has anyone been fishing on Lac Que Parle this year? We are hoping to head over tomorrow and see if we can get on the lake. I would love to get my kids on a crappie or walleye bite.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.