Lac des Mille Lacs

• dbrode
    Mingo, IA

Has anyone been to and fished this lake in Ontario? My bro-lo and I are trying to agree on a lake to go to in September and this is what he came up with. Internet shows a few lodges up there, but I would like info from the great IDOers if possible. Thanks and tight lines to all!

mrwalleye
    MN

I fished it in the early 90’s around mid August and was not impressed. walleyes all ran 12″-18″ we had 2 big girls a 25″ and a 27.5″ in 4 days of fishing. one GIANT pike about 20 pounds. and a bunch of 2 pound Smallmouth.
    If it was me I would go to Lake of the Woods in Baudette area or NW angle. fishing is awesome at that time. and its a shorter drive for you.

fishdale

Last time I fished it was the early 90s. We fished it in Oct so it was cold. Fishing was similar to what MRwalleye said. That was 20 years ago so I would look for more recent reports if possible. We stayed at Pine Point not sure if it is still there it was a nice resort.

brunn
    Andover, MN

I was up there about 6 years ago and caught more walleyes than I ever have (but that’s mainly because I fish bass). tongue There were a couple days we boated 70+ walleye, but the biggest walleyes were only 25″. If the wind starts blowing there are plenty of islands that will provide some relief.
    We stayed at a resort in Cushing lake, which is connected via channel to Lac de Mille Lacs. As a prior poster pointed out, the lake has plenty of pike and a few smallies if you get bored with walleye.

candofish
    Turtle Lake wi

My family and I have been going to ldml for the past 34 years.
    we stay at Pine Point Resort which is owned by a couple from southwest Wisconsin. We go the second week in June and this year we caught 805 Walleyes. We mainly fish Walleyes, but have caught Northerns up to 42 inches and smallies up to 20. We have had only 1 bad year and that was due to snow and cold blustery weather. Google Pine Point Resort for more info. Kris and Bill the owners can put you on fish.

dbrode
    Mingo, IA

Thanks for the input. My bro-lo said he was told there is some crazy slot up there on walleyes from 13-18″? Seems really odd if true

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

2014 regs has greater than 13″, only one over 18.1″(which is normal reg).

I was thinking of taking trips here as well. We do annual(well not annual for me) up the Graham Rd. and pass by the lake on the way to. Figured it be nice to not haul all the extra way and extra work of camp, etc.

candofish
    Turtle Lake wi

If you go to Pine Point Resort the gravel road is 18 miles long, but it is very well maintained. You can do up to 55 miles per hour on it in some places. There is enough room for 2 vehicles to pass each other all the way, There are signs marking the way to Pine Point, Open Bay, and Thunderbird resorts. The slot limit has been that way for a number of years on most of the lakes.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

fished there two years ago the third week in June
    do not remember slots. walleye all were fairly small. biggest one was 26″
    I fished mostly bass and it was outstanding. caught several 18″ fish. couple of nice pike but they were skinny. all in all I would not go back
    we also stayed at Pine Point. it was fine. nice fish house.

31lifer

I think I would steer away from any lake that has Mille Lacs in the title.

rwmcvean

We have gone to LDML probably 10 of the last 15 Canadian Walleye openers. Our fishing had been very variable based on ice out times but word is that it is great in June, great in the fall. We stay at Thunderbird lodge but he might close it up after school starts in the fall. I am not sure but think Pine point is year round (?) and is better access to big open water if you’re more interested in that. We noticed that about 5 years ago there was a real strong group of young walleyes and every year since then the sizes were getting bigger, probably 20 inch class now, should be plenty of them. Big lake, not a lot of develpment, true Canadian Shield lake, be careful if you venture too far out at that time of the year because you won’t see many boats at all.

henny
    Prescott, WI

We fished it every June in the 90’s stayed by open bay. We always did very well in mid june with crawler harnesses. Never went farther south than grassy island stayed mostly in open bay’s north east side off points. Windy sides/points were the ticket. We only caught one walleye that was 29″ rest of them ran 25″-16″ average with plenty of small ones. Northerns ran big as I remember, jerk baits like suicks and reef hawgs did the best black/silver walleye perch patterns. Shoreline south of open bay lodge was good also and out of wind if it was bad.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.