Knot tying gadgets

• Ice Cap

Ok my eyes aren’t what they used to be. The ability to tie a knot in a fish house with all the shadows and low level light left me a couple years ago. I think I’ve tried every knot tying gadget out there and they seem to be the same difficulty level as actually tying a knot. I’ve noticed when they demo these gadgets they are using large heavy lines and large spoons with big eyelets. They are never using the smaller lines and equipment that is more commonly used in ice fishing.
    So I’ve had my son rig all my lines with quick clips for when I change lures. I’ve caught plenty fish with a quick clip on but I’m pretty sure the quick clip is not changing any lookers into biters.

When I fish with other people who are tied to the lure directly I sometimes get out fished by them and sometimes I will put more topside than they do. No definitive pattern it would seem.

Anybody else using quick clips or knot tying tools that has any input? Going to have cataract surgery this summer so hopefully by next ice season things will have improved.

critterhouse 75
    western wisconsin

Have you tried Tyepro. They work well for me. Work well with mono. Braid not so much.

Ice Cap

Have you tried Tyepro. They work well for me. Work well with mono. Braid not so much.

I’ve run across that one I think but haven’t tried it. I see they are on Amazon might as well try it if it don’t work I’ll throw it in the drawer with the other ones. smile

Dan Baker

Agreed, these are pretty slick!

mike e

Second vote for tie-fast along with their clipper/eye poker. Usually tying 2lb test under less than ideal conditions.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

It may sound stupid but I have a friend that is about blind. What he does is once the eye is threaded he will hold the jig and line in one hand then basically wrap the tag end around his wrist then thread the tag thru the loops come back thru the loop just created for an improved clinch knot and cinch it down. Does waste some line but it actually works.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Hardest part for me is just getting the line through they jig eye, the knot is easy to tie.

Ice Cap

I like my Tie-Fast Knot Tool, works great in the boat and wind..
    Knot tool

youtube video on this tool

picked up on ebay for five bucks

Interesting. Haven’t seen that one before. They were threading the line through the jig eye manually by eye sight that’s more than half the battle.
    Don’t have the finger dexterity I once did either. Carpal tunnel surgery and after that hasen’t been the same since.

It’s a bitch gettin’ old.

MnPat1

Tie fast tool makes perfect snell knots quickly. I haven’t used anything under 60 lb yet but no problems 60 to 100lb.

igotone

I would like to add that I mainly use the Tie-Fast Knot Tool to tie a nail Knot with a braid or mono leader to the end of Leadcore line while in the boat and can be done with some wind..
    when rigging on shore I do use the Modified Albright Knot:
    Modified Albright or “Crazy” Alberto’s

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Has anyone used the tie-knot tool to tie slip bobber knots right on the line?

igotone

Has anyone used the tie-knot tool to tie slip bobber knots right on the line?

Thanks, that’s a good idea…
    you would have to put the knot on first, then put the business end on.

Al Case

“Has anyone used the tie-knot tool to tie slip bobber knots right on the line?”

Yes, it works great.
    I also like the tie fast tool. I use it all of the time for fluoro to braid and braid to mono.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Never used the tool but would think if you laid the main line through the trough in the tool and then tied your slip know line around it you could already have your bead, bobber, split shot and hook or jig on there.

Currently I use a forceps for doing just that. Lay the main line on the forceps, lay the slip bobber line alongside the main line and wrap around the forceps.
    Then carefully slip the wraps forward off the forceps, feed the end back through and snug slightly. Set depth, snug all the way, clip ends and catch fish. Works best with a long forceps.

MnPat1

“Has anyone used the tie-knot tool to tie slip bobber knots right on the line?”

Yes, it works great.
    I also like the tie fast tool. I use it all of the time for fluoro to braid and braid to mono.

Which braid to mono knots?
    I use a uni to uni on lighter stuff and an fg on heavier leaders. I don’t think it would help me much with those knots.

igotone

Never used the tool but would think if you laid the main line through the trough in the tool and then tied your slip know line around it you could already have your bead, bobber, split shot and hook or jig on there.

Currently I use a forceps for doing just that. Lay the main line on the forceps, lay the slip bobber line alongside the main line and wrap around the forceps.
    Then carefully slip the wraps forward off the forceps, feed the end back through and snug slightly. Set depth, snug all the way, clip ends and catch fish. Works best with a long forceps.

thanks for the pointer, I believe you are right…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.