knife sharpening ?

• cheers

What is the best angle to sharpen fillet knife blade . A quick look on google offers no conclusive answers with results from 7 to 25 degrees. Is there an easy way to keep a specific angle when sharpening with a stone ?

Tinker
    Iron Range

I found a video on Google that really helped me. Google Fillet knife sharpening on Red Castle Outdoors.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

The thinner the angle the “sharper” it is/feels. Think scalpul.
    The thinner the angle the quicker it dulls.
    I do 20 degrees on my fillet knives.

jwellsy

I certainly would not use one of the WorkSharp mini triangular belt sharpener/sander on a filet knife. Those things can flat out chew through a knife blade pretty quickly. I ruined a little Victorinox pocket knife in a heartbeat with one of those.

I’ve been tempted to get a strop. Hitting a strop before each fish might be interesting.

Actually if it’s more than 2 or 3 fish I’ll usually grab an electric filet knife. Not sure if you can sharpen those serrated blades or not.

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

I’ve been tempted to get a strop. Hitting a strop before each fish might be interesting.

Years ago a now deceased friend gave me his F Dick sharpening steel. Unfortunately I left it at a cleaning station in South Dakota. Although it was pretty wore out from the years, it still put a great edge on a knife. Ended up ordering a couple replacements from Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/F-Round-Dickoron-Sapphire-Sharpening/dp/B07BFJB292/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=F+Dick+sharpening+steel&qid=1600878036&sr=8-5 I steel my knives at 15 to 20 degrees, not hard but slow and steady. They are expensive(+$100) but I have not stone sharpened a knife in years. A few strokes and it aligns the edge, sharp as a razor. I have a sapphire cut for edging and a course cut steel for tuning up an edge before using the finer cut steel.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I use the Gatco kit. I had the stone based kit for years. Actually wore a curve in the center of the stones. I replaced it with the diamond faced kit. Works great. I don’t think I can wear this kit out. I sharpen most of my blades to the 22 deg. including my filet knives. Very very sharp. I can tell if the knife is sharp by looking at the knife edge straight on. If there is any light reflection on the edge it needs to be sharpened. You can’t see the edge it is sharp.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

I purchased the work shop knife and tool sharpener earlier this year and so far I like it. It comes with different attachments to change blade angle depending on knife. Plus, it comes with three different abrasive belts. Downfall is you need power so not functional on remote trips

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve tried a few options but bought the Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker a few years ago. It’s easy to use and gets knives very sharp. It’s not great on large knives (like a chef’s knife), but I have been happy using it on my folding knives, fillet knives, and smaller kitchen knives.

jwellsy

Ralph, I like the looks of that Spyderco. Reminds me of those old Croc-Sticks from way back. Those were may favorites for years till I lost it and never did find another one. They may not be as finely tuned as a Lansky jig sharpener. But for a basic, easy to use, quick and effective sharpener a set of ceramic sticks is hard to beat. That price tag seems a bit steep to me. I’ll be on the lookout now for it to be on sale somewhere. Black Friday’s coming up or I could even put it on my Christmas wish list.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

That’s MSRP. Looks like $75 is about what they’re selling for online.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I certainly would not use one of the WorkSharp mini triangular belt sharpener/sander on a filet knife. Those things can flat out chew through a knife blade pretty quickly. I ruined a little Victorinox pocket knife in a heartbeat with one of those.

Actually if it’s more than 2 or 3 fish I’ll usually grab an electric filet knife. Not sure if you can sharpen those serrated blades or not.

1st complaint I’ve ever heard about Work Sharp. i was a Chef in a former life sharpened 1000’s of knives, and outside of a Hobart sharpener these things are as good as a homeowner can get.

jwellsy

I use the WorkSharp for a lot of things like small sanding jobs, sharpening lawnmower blades in place, hatchets, axes and shovels. I did use it on a few kitchen knifes. But after ruining my favorite pocket knife with it I don’t trust myself using it on fine blades.

Of course your mileage may vary, I’m not a trained professional and I don’t play one on TV, etc.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Worksharp here too.

If you use too coarse of a belt yes you can wear through a knife quickly. Imo, use the correct belt for the job and it does amazing!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Been using a work sharp since it was introduced. No complaints here.
    Certainly gets sharp enough to take a look at some tendons in my knuckles shock

James Almquist

Worked Sharp is the best knife sharpener I have ever owned. I never use the most course belt and also purchased the leather strop. I gather up all of the knifes and run them thru one pass on the medium belt. Then the fine and last the leather strop. Dose not matter if it is a filet knife or a 10″ chefs knife.

Beast

worksharp here too, fine belt for fillet knife and weekly touchup on the kitchen knives, very seldom do I have to go to any of the more aggressive belts unless the knife extremely dull.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.