knife edge

• Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Looking for a knife that really holds a edge for fish filleting. I don’t like having to sharpen so often.
    What are your recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

toddrun

Electric. I was given a Bass Pro battery electric fillet knife for Xmas, used it up on Lake of the Woods, can’t beat it, worked awesome.

My knife is a Fishermans Solution by Cutco, also a great knife with lifetime resharpening if you have a dealer near you, but I have never had to have mine sharpened yet.

Lots of good talk about the Leech Lake knives, if you like custom.

Brad Dimond

I also have a Cutco Fisherman’s Solution, solid knife and holds and edge. It supplements my Rapala Lithium Ion cordless. Both do the job.

Musky Ed

I’ve been happy with my Bubba knives, since switching. They do need to be sharpened occasionally though, but less than your standard knives. Quite honestly sharpening is not that big of a deal. I just keep one of those oval diamond sticks that resemble a steel, and a few swipes every now and then, and you are good to go. Worst knives I have ever had were those white handled ones that you buy for 10 to 12 bucks, absolutely would not hold an edge. This knife subject has been brought up a few times before and I remember there was a brand that everyone liked really well. I looked them up and they were about a $100 though.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

A lot has to do with the order of fish filleting.
    Do the perch last. Smaller scales dull the knife faster.
    Also, the grain of the scales, don’t fillet across the grain any more than necessary. Cut under the scales first, then down the length of the fillet.

Musky Ed

Just remembered, I did a photo shoot at a fish processing place in Rockport Maine back in the 80’s, and they had about 25 people cleaning fish there, and only used one style of knife. While it wasn’t a Bubba back then, a knife like this was all they used. Also had a full time sharpening person. It was quite an interesting thing to watch. Those fish were cleaned in seconds.

Attachments:
    1. BB1-9F_9inFlex_FrontRight.jpg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.