Kettle Falls day trip!

• steve

Hello everyone,

Just wondering about how long of a ride is it from the Kabetogama visitor center to Kettle falls?

How about the fishing up that way, Is it worth the trip?

Would anyone recommend taking the portage into Rainy Lake for a little bit of the day?

We are thinking of doing a day trip up that way and are not sure about timing of it all. I think it would be so cool to check out.

Any info on the area that way is helpful.

Thanks in advance

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Steve,
    Was just at Kettle on Tuesday with the family. It is @12 miles from the Ash River landing, not sure from the Kab landing. We go there once every trip for a pizza and cocktail and game of pool. Lots to check out there, the falls and hotel and the “Tiltin Hilton” bar!!
    The run down Kab isnt too bad, the only tricky part is the turn at Bivo island on Namakan. You will be going down river going to Kettle, so keep the green buoys on your right and red on your left. Coming back reverse that (red right upriver, green left upriver). If you’ve got a chip you should be good.
    If you’re gonna portage to Rainy ($50 total for both ways) its better to do a full day fishing trip. When we go to Kettle we usually head back to a beach on Namakan and make a day of it. There is a day use beach on Sheen island and another a 1/2 mile away in the Wolf Pack islands. Both really nice spots for swimming etc. We pulled my son and his girlfriend on the Big Mabel tube all the way from Kettle to Sheen, and then all the way back to Ash River on Tuesday!!
    Any other ?’s just ask.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Looked at a map and looks to be about 8 miles from the Kab visitor center to Ash River landing, so about 20 miles one way total. Beautiful ride tho!

steve

Hey thanks for the help xplorer,

I think the portage is out of our plans now. Not just the price but how long it may take for the whole day. I still would like to check out kettle falls one day though. We are primarily fishing the entire time so we are looking to plan a day or 2 on Namakan and if we made our way up to kettle that would be great. Would be pretty cool to grab a cold one and a bite to eat in the middle of the park.

Speaking of Ash river, is the current pretty good over there? If we wanted to stop for a bite to eat at one of the resorts/restaurants, would you recommend one over the other?

I love to explore as much as I like to fish. So thank you for any information again!

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Very little current right now in the River we found. We ate at Ash Ka Nam while there, good food and appetizers. Fun place to make a stop. They’ve got a nice outside area that you can eat at overlooking the river.

The river starting at Frontier resort is slow/no wake, so does take a little while to cruise up.

I’m headed back up to Namakan next Thursday morning for 4 days, but will be staying on/fishing Nam only.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you hit Ash Ka Nam over the weekend you will likely see kids jumping off the cliff. Something to watch. They usually have enough dock space for everybody so you can tie up and relax over a burger & beer. How many in your group?

steve

If you hit Ash Ka Nam over the weekend you will likely see kids jumping off the cliff. Something to watch. They usually have enough dock space for everybody so you can tie up and relax over a burger & beer. How many in your group?

Dutch, We have 2 in our group for the 1st half of our trip, and then 2 of our buddies are coming up half way through the week as well.

Xplorer, again thank you for the detailed info…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.