Kayak fishing on a fairly large lake

• hardfishing

Hello, I am considering buying a sit on top kayak to fish out of as I can’t afford a boat. I am wondering how bad of an idea is it for me to buy one and use it on a 6348 acre lake that is also a reservoir. I am looking for A is it even a good idea to try, B what would you try to make sure you dont get swamped every time a boat flies past you and makes a huge wake, and C how can I figure out what kayak would be best if it is even worth it. Sorry for the dumb question but cant really ask anywhere else. Thanks.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

First off, no need to apologize. There’s no such thing as a stupid question if it’s coming from an honest place, that’s my opinion. Get on Google and search for kayak fishing big water and you will quickly learn that there are some guys who will take a kayak just about anywhere. There are obviously A ton of different models and types available in I’m sure some would be better for bigger water than others. Definitely not my area of expertise.

One thing that I wonder is whether you will really be saving yourself money with a kayak versus an old used boat? It takes a lot of patience and persistence, but last year I picked up a 14 foot Aluma craft for $40 on craigslist. Just yesterday here it it looked like someone was literally giving away a pretty sweet old StarCraft and trailer.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Hello, I am considering buying a sit on top kayak to fish out of as I can’t afford a boat. I am wondering how bad of an idea is it for me to buy one and use it on a 6348 acre lake that is also a reservoir. I am looking for A is it even a good idea to try, B what would you try to make sure you dont get swamped every time a boat flies past you and makes a huge wake, and C how can I figure out what kayak would be best if it is even worth it. Sorry for the dumb question but cant really ask anywhere else. Thanks.

A) It’s a good idea if you are careful. I’m on a lake that has a lot of Kayaks and Canoes. Most boats give them very little respect although some do. Buy a bright colored one. Wear a florescent PFD. Also Yaks with flags off the back are easier for us to see. I would not travel across the middle of any size lake.

B) No real answer to this. Time in the Yak and experience is your only teacher.

C) You in the Twin Cities? I think REI sells them. That Mountain climbing place over near St. Louis Park sells them I believe. Otherwise a summer road trip to Ely, rent one and test it out.

Good luck, stay safe.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Check out some of the forums for kayak fishing offshore. Guys that fish the oceans know what you need for big water. I’d recommend getting a kayak that is set up for foot pedal power as well as paddle. Being able to use you hands for fishing and your legs for propulsion is a huge benefit. Shallow water will be about the only time when a paddle is required. Yes, a flag and an AIR HORN is strongly recommended.

munchy
    NULL

I purchased a kayak last year, did a ton of research and visited a lot of stores. By far the best place with the biggest selection and most helpful salesman was the Dicks in Minnetonka. Start looking in a month or two when they start putting out their inventory.

Kayaking in the middle of a large lake is risky, however if you are visible and don’t go out at the busiest times/days you should be fine. Having a LOUD air horn to blast at someone coming straight for you is probably a good idea. But if you stick near shore you should be fine.

One thing to know is kayaks and canoes suck in the wind. Even a slight breeze can make a guy struggle at times. Also kayaks can be expensive and a kayak big enough for a large body of water isn’t going to be much savings compared to a used tin one you can eventually put a motor on.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I bought my first sit on top kayak last year. I used it about a dozen times or so. I like it but here is what I learned.

1) paddling a kayak is hard work. I spent a lot of time paddling a canoe and I enjoy it but for me a kayak seems like more work. Maybe im just getting older.
    2) Long paddles across open water definitely can be trying. If you are considering it for a big body of water I would be prepared to get a work out.
    3) Dutch is right you need to be careful of boat traffic. They don’t always see you and or care that you are there.
    4) a kayak wont necessarily be cheaper than a fishing boat like pool2fool says. I have an old 12 ft aluminum duck boat I got for free. My buddy spent $100 on an old but in good shape aluminum. You can find a nice tiller motor for anywhere from $300-700. About all you need to get on the water. I bought a Perception Pescador Pro and the kayak alone cost me $650 and I got it on sale. Add up all the equipment that goes with it and im over a grand. You can get a fishing boat for cheaper than that.

I love using mine on small creeks and rivers. Its loads of fun for that and it gives you a way to get on waters that you can access in a boat. If I were you though I would really look at a cheap boat based off of what you are looking to do.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Guys kayak fish on the Great Lakes or on the Ocean for that matter so in terms of stability the models are out there. Just to point something out. There is a difference between primary and secondary stability. What feels stable in flat water (primary stability) doesn’t translate to stability in rough water (secondary stability). Likewise, kayaks that are more stable in rough water will feel more tippy in flat water.

The paddling is doable. I use to do some paddling on the St. Croix which is a very busy piece of water. It came with a strategy though. Keep your head on a swivel, assume nothing and don’t rely on anyone in a boat when it comes to your safety. I was definitely proactive in my decision making to minimize my exposure to boats.

I think a good base question to ask yourself is what kind of fishing do you want to do? Trolling? Anchor and pitch? Casting? You’ll likely not find a model that will be a catch all. You typically have to trade one thing for another. A kayak that will allow you to stand and pitch will likely make for a poor trolling kayak and vice versa. I’m not a believer in the mythical “combination” design. Combination designs generally do nothing well. The type of fishing you want to do is going to point you in the direction of what to look at.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Check out some of the forums for kayak fishing offshore. Guys that fish the oceans know what you need for big water.

Guys kayak fish on the Great Lakes or on the Ocean for that matter so in terms of stability the models are out there.

This is what I was going to say. Guys will paddle out a mile.

1) paddling a kayak is hard work. I spent a lot of time paddling a canoe and I enjoy it but for me a kayak seems like more work. Maybe im just getting older.

I rented one once and tried paddling against the tide. I ended up going close to shore where the current was less.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Get an ol beat up boat and motor. Way less spendy than a new kayak. I’m all for a workout but cmon, fishing shouldn’t be strenuous hah

Take the time to learn all the things that make up a boat, trailer, and motor, and learn to fix all it. You have all the time in the world right now in youth which will give you a lifetime of knowledge when you grow older. Sure wish I would’ve learned alot of stuff back when, once you get a job, wife, couple kids. Not only saves ya time but serious money bc you know what you’re doing!

Good luck man. Should be fun for ya figuring out one way or another.

hardfishing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>hardfishing wrote:</div>

A) It’s a good idea if you are careful. I’m on a lake that has a lot of Kayaks and Canoes. Most boats give them very little respect although some do. Buy a bright colored one. Wear a florescent PFD. Also Yaks with flags off the back are easier for us to see. I would not travel across the middle of any size lake.

B) No real answer to this. Time in the Yak and experience is your only teacher.

C) You in the Twin Cities? I think REI sells them. That Mountain climbing place over near St. Louis Park sells them I believe. Otherwise a summer road trip to Ely, rent one and test it out.

Good luck, stay safe.

No, i am in wisconsin on the otherside, so its a little far for me lol.

hardfishing

Get an ol beat up boat and motor. Way less spendy than a new kayak. I’m all for a workout but cmon, fishing shouldn’t be strenuous hah

Take the time to learn all the things that make up a boat, trailer, and motor, and learn to fix all it. You have all the time in the world right now in youth which will give you a lifetime of knowledge when you grow older. Sure wish I would’ve learned alot of stuff back when, once you get a job, wife, couple kids. Not only saves ya time but serious money bc you know what you’re doing!

I totally would take a boat over a kayak, however the issue of finding one for a decant price near me, that doesnt have holes is an issue for me.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

There were a couple people fishing out of kayaks on pool 4 Saturday, in the wind and insane boat traffic. Anyone know who they were or what they had?

I’ve seen a few winter out there. Probably the same few

I actually had a boat come close enough to give my boat a sprinkle Saturday. So be visible! Horns aren’t very loud when your hidden behind a windshield listening to your two stroke busting waves with hats and hoods. Just saying.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

There were a couple people fishing out of kayaks on pool 4 Saturday, in the wind and insane boat traffic. Anyone know who they were or what they had?

I was just going to comment about the guys kayaking P4 on Saturday, to me that’s not very smart, but I’m sure they knew what they were doing. I think we might have chatted w you for a bit FBRM. To the OP if you keep an eye on CList and ask around a cheap tin boat should be easy and more affordable to find. Much easier to go across a bigger lake with a 9-15 hp than a paddle! Most of us on here started with a little tin boat I’d guess.

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>nhamm wrote:</div>

I totally would take a boat over a kayak, however the issue of finding one for a decant price near me, that doesnt have holes is an issue for me.

I’m guessing not many are listed at the moment. Wait a bit and keep a close eye on Craigslist and be ready to pounce with cash in hand.

Ryan P
    Farmington

I would have to agree that a tin boat may be more affordable. I still wish I had my 14′ boat and 59 Evinrude Golden Jubilee edition 10 horse. Should’ve never sold it.

However, one thing a lot of people look past is that the ability to car top a kayak and store in your basement or apartment works for a lot of people instead of a boat. Keep an eye out for other boats and make it easy for them to see you and I think you’d be fine. I also like the flag idea.

A quick google search supplied the lake I believe you are talking about. Looks like it would be a lot like Lake Pepin and I see people kayak fishing out there. Use your ability to get where big boats can’t to your advantage and have fun. Good Luck.

David Straus

Where are you on the Great Lake side? I am north of Milwaukee and see Kayak fishers out all the time. There is one guy on my fb feed that slams salmon / trout all day

I attached a picture so you can see his setup.

Attachments:
    1. C69781D6-35CE-4875-B85A-13E65ADA532A.png

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

If you want to fish from a kayak on big water, you need the proper kayak. Again, do a bit of research and find out for yourself just what the serious kayak anglers are using.
    Kayak one example, many more to choose from

I see kayaks like this on a regular basis. There are also more expensive ones depending on size and propulsion systems. On one lake around here, there are just as many kayaks like this out there as regular boats. Guys are NOT car-topping these setups.

Can you get by with something different? Your call, what you use on your “fairly large lake”. Some guys walleye fish from a 12 foot vee bottom with a 6hp motor. The next guy is out there in a 16 with a 90hp. Others want a 20 footer sporting a 250hp and 15hp kicker for backup.

All depends on the water and what you are comfortable with. Just don’t go out there under equipped.

Attachments:
    1. old-town.jpg

gary d
    cordova,il

I have a Prowler BG2 and I like it for fishing backwaters of the Mississippi. Over all it works for me. One thing I would of change is the rod storage in middle of it. Old towne has one with out it. I think it would work better. It would be a little easier to move around. Good luck on your idea!!!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Saw those guys on P4 Saturday….seemed a little dicey with the wind, traffic, and cold water.

I decided this morning I need a kayak. Down in Mexico now and caught this pargo on my medium action bass rod. What a blast being that close to the water.

Attachments:
    1. 7B35057A-DC63-4006-B91A-D110B1E7F5DE.jpeg

toothyfish

That Predator is a $2800 kayak… I’m guessing that is out of the OP’s price range if he can’t afford a regular boat.

The size of the lake isn’t really important, the amount and type of traffic that it gets is what is important. I have done most of my fishing out of a kayak the past few years as my fishing buddy has gotten busier with life. I tried fishing big lakes for a while, but since I live in the metro area, almost all the big lakes are overrun with pleasure boats/DBs. I have heard teenagers in their parents’ wakesurfing boats announce to their friends that they’re going to attempt to flip me. I once had a marina worker spot me from a long ways off and attempt to drive over me in a rich person’s triple outboard boat into 40 degree water. That guy was so intent on flipping or spraying me that he went at least 100 yards out of his way and up into an area that normally has hazard buoys because it is so shallow and has huge boulders, but ruining my day was more important to this guy than making sure he didn’t wreck the customer’s boat.

If you’re dealing with that kind of people on a regular basis, it just isn’t very enjoyable to try fishing. I am not a paddling expert, but my best solution to dealing with that type of thing is to point my tip directly into the waves and hope I can float on top of them. Generally with the wakesurfing boats you’re going to get over the first wave and possibly the second, but you will be getting wet. I saw you want a sit on top, mine is actually sit inside though so your strategy may be a bit different, the top on mine does a pretty impressive job keeping most of the water out. With a sit on top though, you’re going to have scupper holes to drain any water that gets inside, where I have to eventually get out and dump the water that has built up in the bottom of mine.

Once I accepted that there was nothing I could do to change the attitude and behavior of strangers on the bigger lakes I started concentrating on the smaller lakes that might be inaccessible for the larger boats as well as lakes with restrictions that don’t allow gas motors or lakes with 10hp or less limits. Doing that has lead to a lot less stress while fishing and much more enjoyment. You may still encounter a lakeshore owner who believes you’re illegally fishing on “their” lake, but they just aren’t used to seeing anyone on the small lake they live on. I had a few people on my favorite small lake try damming up a creek to prevent me from fishing the lake, but I just get out and break it down each time I go. They stuck to building it back up for quite a while, but eventually they gave up.

In terms of kayak, I went with something inexpensive but that looked decent to me. I would avoid the really cheap, flimsy feeling ones that you sometimes see at like Menard’s. I got a Perception Sport Sound 9.5′ sit inside. I like to keep fishing as late in the season as I can and I really like the fact that at least my legs and some of my torso are protected from the wind. I do end up wearing my rain bibs to keep my clothes dry from the paddle drip though. My kayak has no rudder or pedals or any of that stuff that the really expensive ones have, but like you price was a concern for me when buying it. The other thing is that those fancier kayaks are going to be extremely heavy compared to a simple paddle powered one. That would be a big concern if you’re like me and go fishing alone most of the time. I also don’t have to worry about going into water that’s too shallow, as I said earlier, it may take the homeowners a while to accept the fact that they don’t own the lake, so you may end up having obstacles to avoid which don’t slow me down much at all, but if I had one of those expensive kayaks it could cause some serious damage. Another consideration is that in Minnesota, boats 10′ and under do not need to be registered, that $2800 Predator is 13′, so depending on Wisconsin’s laws you may need to deal with registration and those annoying stickers that refuse to stick to anything.

404 ERROR
    MN

I take my Perception sound on Lake Pepin every now and then. I try to hug near shore, as I usually have a kayak full of duck decoys. See a barge coming? get to shore.

I also have kayaked the Apostle islands on lake Superior a half dozen times or so. There’s nothing quite like it, it’s an experience I’ll never forget. I always rent when I got up there, as a 14’+ kayak with a rudder is pretty much required.

Whatever you chose, get to know it VERY well in shallow water. Test it’s limits and know what it can safely handle before venturing out too far in it. All too many people say “I know what to do when I flip” or “I’ll never flip”. I’ve flipped wearing waders once, one of the scariest and most nerve wracking experiences I’ve ever had. You never really know how you will handle a situation when it’s unexpected, so prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Also, ALWAYS wear a life jacket. Even in 2′ of water.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

What a blast being that close to the water.

Definitely a blast. One day I was fishing for Walleye, casting a crank-bait from my kayak. A Muskie smashed my crank-bait and proceeded to leap from the water. He cleared my head and landed on the other side of the kayak from where he started his leap.

Fishing from a float tube is fun too. Until the wind comes up and you can’t make headway back to where you started. It can be a long walk back halfway around the shoreline.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.