Kansas City BBQ

• Deuces

Anyone got recommendations for one SW corner of the city, Overland park? Will be traveling over to Missouri at some point to, in the area for softball the next few days here.

Stopped at one earlier tonight and was solid, but feel the best is still out there.

BDR

Best I have had there was Haywards Pit. Always looked forward to going back. It was a family run place. Hayward was a pretty cool character. Spent many years doing usssa soft ball thing with my girls. Been quite a few years though.

dwalton

Might be a little far, but I would recommend Arthur Bryant’s. Excellent BBQ and a pretty cool history.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I would give Oklahoma Joe’s a visit. There’s one near Overland Park. I did try one of the Arthur Bryant chains (not the downtown original) and it wasn’t comparable. Maybe I got the short end of the rib. There was another good one I thought was called Stackhouse but I can’t find it on any i-net searches.

Besox

Q39 for a no doubt great BBQ feast.
    Chicken, ribs, brisket, pulled pork all very good. Beans off the charts.

realtreeap10
    Over there

Joe’s Kansas City BBQ is where it’s at, every time I’m in KC I stop. They’ve got a few locations with one on the south side of Overland Park.

Cody Meyers

I think Oklahoma Joe’s switched their name to KC Joes a year or two ago. Backyard BBQ is a solid place as well, I’d try to get there early.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

KC Joes is great. Highly recommend that one. Went to Arthur Bryants the day prior and what a regret. Really cruddy part of town, person running the counter was an absolute ass, and the food was nothing special at all. BBQ and sides both equally unimpressive.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The woman and I are going to do a Thursday Friday Saturday road trip down to just gorge on bbq. One of these weekends we can find a long sitter. Get away from the kids and animals and do nothing but mow down food

BigWerm
    SW Metro

KC Joes is great. Highly recommend that one. Went to Arthur Bryants the day prior and what a regret. Really cruddy part of town, person running the counter was an absolute ass, and the food was nothing special at all. BBQ and sides both equally unimpressive.

That’s sad to hear, it’s been a few years since I went, but Arthur Bryants original location was great.

Oklahoma/KC Joes is much more modern, and is really good too.

Brad Dimond

KC Joe’s Gas Station locations is a favorite, 3002 West 47th Ave. A bunch of buddies go down for baseball, we frequent KC Joe’s. Athur Bryant’s isn’t bad, just not as good. If you have time I also suggest the Negro League Baseball Museum and the National World War 1 Museum and Memorial. Both are great.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I would give Oklahoma Joe’s a visit. There’s one near Overland Park. I did try one of the Arthur Bryant chains (not the downtown original) and it wasn’t comparable. Maybe I got the short end of the rib. There was another good one I thought was called Stackhouse but I can’t find it on any i-net searches.

I figured out the other place. It was Jack Stack and it’s in Overland. I think everyone is talking about the same Joe’s. Logo looks the same.

Attachments:
    1. Joes.jpg

Justin riegel

My buddy that lives there says this:

– Q39 for brisket plate and the smoked wings app (he said this is the number one thing for him in town)
    – Joes Kansas City for ribs
    – Jack Stack for beef prime rib

Deuces

Fantastic, thanks fellas.

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

I lived in Overland Park for 8 years and got back there on business frequently.
    Haywards has gone downhill. The original owner sold the place and it was never the same.
    Jack Stack at 95th and Metcalf is Overland Park is one of the very best for BBQ.
    If you’re looking for another great meal that’s getting harder to find these days go to Stroud’s on 135th in Overland Park for some of the best fried chicken you’ll ever eat.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

It’s funny; I have a buddy in KC and he recommended the same places Justin Riegel’s buddy recommended. I haven’t been to Joe’s, but I want to put in another recommendation for Q39, especially. I ate at the Overland Park location last year and it was phenomenal. I ate at Jack Stack the next day and the burnt ends there are a must-try. Jack Stack is slightly fancier – feels more like a steak house than a BBQ joint, if that makes sense, though I was at the downtown location and not Overland Park.

bfishn

OK Joes for burnt ends, q39 was phenomenal for everything else. I did eat at one other place I can’t remember that was great as well. I decided I needed a pellet grill when I got back from KC a few years ago.

Deuces

Broke my heart the games got delayed and we stayed at the fields thru the evening. In the end just had to find a place that was open still. Quite tasty lil spot for being last minute.

Next couple days will get us to some of the joints listed here.

Deuces

Q39 was exactly what I was looking for.

Even the kiddos thought it was great.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Q39 was exactly what I was looking for.

Even the kiddos thought it was great.

Late in seeing this post. My family also loved Q39 on our Twins road trip 2 years ago. yum!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.