What?

• Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Nobody has anything to say about this area?

Lets hear some stories, anybody have a cabin or seasonal up there? I have a seasonal at Sunset at the Ash River Trail.

Anybody?

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

what are is this? u never said but i have a lot of stories

deertracker

It’s in the Kabetogama Lake forum
    DT

a1a

Kab is my home away from home! Have been going there 4-5 times a year every year since 1981. I’m sure you’ve heard of Laverne Oveson? I have fished with Laverne many many many times, and most of my best stories were told by him or revolve around my trips fishing with him. I can’t imagine how long it would have taken me to learn that lake without his guidance. Sure do miss him and playing cribbage with him….even if he ALWAYS won!

A couple quick stories about him. He once told me the only reason he had a depth finder in his boat was to impress the big-wig city clients…he actually never even turned it on. Another time on the way back from Kettle falls I watched him gum the center out of jo-jos and toss the skins…he didn’t have any teeth. On my last trip with him he took me and my dad through from Kab into Rainy and scared the daylights out of my old man weaving in and out of the buoys. At one point he waited until the last second to veer the boat to the right and avoid a cliff extending down into the river. Not sure if he seen it or not, as his eyes were getting old, but it made for one hell of a ride. He told me a story once about learning to fly. He said his instructor was a drunk and would sleep while he learned to fly. The day he got his float certification the instructor was passed out. I asked Vern if he passed and he told me it took 17 mile of lake but he managed to land in one piece!

Damn I miss that guy. Can’t imagine the lake ever being the same without him. Oh, and he could out-fish anyone anyday with nothing more than a copenhagen can full of old jigs and a minnow. He was one hell of an angler and an even better gentleman.

A little tip for anyone visiting Kab, if you go in September take a ride to the NW corner and go into Gold Portage. There’s a lot of white oaks in there and you will see numerous bears up in the trees like monkeys eating acorns. Pretty cool! Not a bad spot for smallies either.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Great story.

I’m in my mid fifties now and stories of these old timers mean a lot more now then when I was a kid. Ron Schara and his stories about the lady in the BWCA always were the best for me. Hopefully I get a chance to meet one of these guy’s up there and just listen to the accounts of the old days. I really want to hear what the area was like during the 20’s & 30’s and then when the park was formed.

Feel free to toss out anymore you can think of or better yet lets get together around a fire this summer and you can fill me in!

HYBES
    SE MN

We had a cabin there on Spunge Island,where the chimney is on the point.The park came in and we got booted(1985).My dad was pretty bitter about it and so was I .The good thing about it was that it stops million dollar homes from invading the shorelines and it preserves the beauty. I’m 45 now and have many memories up there.My dad came to this area in the 40’s.He has 100’s of stories of the big lake from guys like John Salmi,Maynard Manske and Eddie Town and the “dance Hall”,the Ray General Store.The old Ranger Station,Pine Island Resort,the boy scout camp in Daleys Bay,the cabin on Sugerbush that was open to use by stranded boaters.etc etc… I could go on forever.Fish stories..OMG..where do I begin, to many to mention. I know he caught a muskie once on Kabby and a 9lb walleye on a flyrod,a sturgeon so big they could’nt get it in the boat… and I remember when he said there were hardly any sm mouth bass in the lake.Things really change over the years.I like the story of how the Rock Garden was dismantled then reassembled for the park with a $$$ artist? Thata a secret up there…..

a1a

“I like the story of how the Rock Garden was dismantled then reassembled for the park with a $$$ artist? Thata a secret up there…..”

They ain’t the only ones.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.