Island camping

• vman59
    Barron,wi

Planning a trip for next spring and going to do some camping. Looking for any advice that anyone may have. I have been over the Voyageurs National Park website quite thoroughly . If anyone has anything to add or any tips I would appreciate it. There will be 4 of us in two boats. My only concern is leaving the truck and trailer and the boat launch, was wondering if they would be safe.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I have done this a few times in the last few years and I have had no problems with my vehicles at the landing. Depending on the week or day you go. You might spend some time searching for an empty campground. Keep that in mind when you go. Thursdays and Fridays can be quite full (depending on the week). Bears can be a problem, make sure you take the necessary precautions. They do have bear lockers that will fit a cooler or two at the sites I have been to.

Lastly enjoy, we always have a great time up there.

Any other questions, feel free to PM me!

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

I have taken 60 or 70 trips to the BWCA and Voyager Park and not had one problem with the vehicle(s) left back at the public landing. No guarantee, but pretty good odds.

HYBES
    SE MN

Where do you plan on entering the park? Campsites are a first come/first serve basis and they are more popular on weekends obviously.Permits are required to camp and are free and are available at any of the Visitor Centers. The launch at Kabetogama Visitor Center(Old Ranger Station) has a good/ safe launch and have used it many times.Ash River trail and Kab Narrows is a more centralized location of the park and Crane lake acesses from the south and Rainy lake from the north.I am familiar with Kabetogama the most as my family had a island cabin till the park booted us out. There are lots of good campsites on Kabby and I can suggest a few if you send me a private message.There can be bear issues from previous sloppy campers so the bear lockers are a good thing to use.I have had only one run in with a bear in 35 years,they are usually harmless and scared of ya.Most sites have the lockers, tent pads,fire grate,picnic table and a biffy in the woods.There are some small island sites that are bear free.Woodenfrog campground is a good shore campground if you dont want to do the island thing,I think its state owned.

riverfisher
    Cedar Falls, IA

Worked there two summers ago, never heard of a vehicle break in. CO’s visit the parking lots on a semi regular basis, plus other employees are in and out enough to notice big problems. Be sure to use the bear lockers, take care of all trash and you should be fine. Fill out the permit paper at a visitor center, check the campsite maps to get an idea of where you want to go, set up camp and enjoy!!! Fishing is good in the spring. Send me a PM letting me know when you’re going if you want a good fishing spot or two, although it’s pretty good most places!

vman59
    Barron,wi

we are going to go next June going up the Weds after Memorial day. We are planning on camping on an island and leaning towards those nw of wooden frog. Thanks for the advice as well as I think I will put in at the visitors center launch and leave our vehicles there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.