Kabetogama Report 06-28 to 07-04-08

• midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

Got up to the lake on Saturday the 28th and fished in the rain all day, not much going, caught 3 on jig and minnow. Sunday nothing going on jigs so I started to move around with a bottom bouncer and a spinner, never took it off the rest of the week. Both leeches and crawlers produced about the same, one day one would work better on big fish the next it was the opposite. Color of spinner did not seem to matter, what appeared to matter the most was speed. Using the trolling motor or drifting between .8 and 1.2 worked best for us, any slower or faster and the bite really tapered off. Depths were mostly 15-25, fishing the points and rock piles. We did catch a few casting X-Raps up shallow on the points as well. The fishing was better when the wind blew. Very consistent fishing, lots of 14-16 inch eaters along with some really nice slot fish, man were these fish thick. Had a mayfly hatch going on and the fish were really full of those, sometimes puking the up all over the boat. Nothing really huge 24″ took big fish honors but caught a bunch between 21″ and 23″, nice fish in my book. We stayed at Sunset Resort (nice place) on the Ash River and fished mostly Lost Bay, Wolf Island and that general area. This was my first time up to Kabetogama and I am already looking forward to another trip back.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.