Kab on Memorial day?

• timmy

Any of you ‘eye experts know anything about this chain during the memorial day time of year? I am making a family trip there that weekend and have zero experience up there that time of year. The out-laws, errrr I mean in-laws have been making this trip for a long time and traditionally done pretty poorly. Any and all advise would be appreciated.

Thanks – Tim

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Where are you staying/fishing?

timmy

Staying at a private cabin on Namakan. About a 7-8 mile ride from Kab. Plan on fishing Kab mostly, as the rest of the party is staying at a resort on the Ash River, I believe.

Tim

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Last year was my first trip. I learned quit a bit from staying a week. Weather will be the biggest factor that time of year. Water levels and the bug hatch also effect the bite. Most people will be fishing close to shore, around the islands or in the big bays. These are some good areas:

Duck Bay, Wolf Island,Potato Island and any points with wind blowing into them. But if the water temps are in the 60’s, don’t overlook the main lake humps. These humps will be void of people this time of year but packed full of fish. GPS with the Lakemaster chip is recommended. The lake has yet to be surveyed by Lakemaster but the rock hazards and general structure is on the chip. There are rock hazards all over the chain and most of them are not marked by anything. You go from 30 feet to 5 feet in a blink of an eye when cruising the lake. With GPS you can save your trails and avoid the bad areas.

Most people will be lindy rigging with leeches or slip bobber fishing. We pulled spinners with crawlers most of the week. We did start out with leeches and lindys and caught fish. Dragging plastics like Ringworms worked well too. Wind plays a huge role on Kab. Fish the windy sides of the islands and shorelines. The main lake humps are effected by wind as well. Calm sunny days can force the fish into deep water and wait until evening to feed. Windy overcast days will make the fish bite all day.

I suggest launching at the public access at Lakeview resort and stop in and talk to Randy. He’ll have some good info..

Also if your into big crappies, Sullivan bay is the hot spot that time of year..

Dont leave any food out overnight. The bears are not shy up there..

Wish I could go back again this year but cant make it..

And dont forget about the slot limit.

Walleye – 6 in possession keep 13″-17″ 1 over 23″

Sauger – No size limit, but counts as walleye in possession.

timmy

It is a shame that I never spent more time there. When I lived close to there, we never fished the local lakes other than vermillion – we always chose to hop the border and fish the dumb ‘eyes of canada.

The last few years, the party I am going with has struggled to catch enough fish for a meal……so the pressure is on me now!

Thanks for the info, Derek. I appreciate it.

Tim

crappace

How about Namakan? Any ideas on that lake? We will be staying over there and didnt have great luck last year but didnt starve either. It was hot as heck to say the least. Timmy – if you see a guy, girl and a dalmatian in a green 17 ft Crestliner tiller stop and say hi!

uglystick007

My friend that lives on Kab only uses gold jigs with minnows and he often goes down to Namakan to find the walleyes.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

So Timmy, how was the fishing? Planning on being there in a couple of weeks, more in the Ash River area.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I haven’t been there yet.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Ifished the East end of Namakan for three days prior to Laborday. We caught plenty offish. Most were in the slot. Only managed 2 “small” enough for dinner. Got rained on alot, but had a good trip.
    I’ll post a few pics.

timmy

Quote:

How was the bite??

Sorry guys – had not checked this forum in a while. We did well. Weather was crummy, but we caught plenty of eyes. Some areas had good numbers of fish with slots being tough to find(I can think of worse problems.. ) but we did find a couple of spots where 13-15″ fish were biting. We had plenty for a fish fry and threw back a lot of 19-23″ fish .

Shallow sand bars in the 7-10′ range that were pounded by wind were the ticket for the bigger fish. Deeper rock bars were where we found the little eaters.

Rigs/leeches and jig/minnow both took fish with neither seeming better than the other.

On a side note – I just accepted a job back up on the range – so the kab chain will once again be just an hour and 10 minutes away…… . Life is good.

Tim

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.