Opener on Kab

• eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

Taking my boat on Kab on Monday the 12th about 11 AM
    and weather being agreeable,
    staying through Saturday the 17th.
    Mostly hang around Wolf Island
    and camp nearby.
    Boat looks like this with the addition of 360 transducer on back.

When is everyone showing up this year?

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I’ll be arriving the day you leave (17th). Staying at Northern lights again this year. We are going to run 2 boats this year, my ‘new to me’ lund (pictured) and my dad 175 navigator. Last year we only took dads navigator as with my son only 6 months old we only had 3 going out at a time. This year I hope to get my son out a few times, there are some rock piles nearby I should be able to pull some smallies off fairly easily to show him some fish. He loves being in the boat anyway, just need to keep him from wanting to climb out of it (he nearly did Saturday when I turned my back for a second while organizing it). The in-laws are coming up for a few days too so I hope to be on the fish for them when they get there later in the week.

cazador75

I hope that the ice goes out and you are able to get on the lake next Monday. I called up there last night and was told that the ice won’t be out by this weekend, but hopefully next week sometime. Of course they don’t know for sure. Based on that, I changed my plans and am going up on the 15th and plan to fish the 16th through the 18th. I have fished by wolf my first trip up there the last couple years. Did pretty good there 2 years ago. Good luck and maybe see you on the water.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Nice boat pics guys. Nice Lund PM.

garyeg

I’ll be in the river and Sullivan Bay on Sat may venture out on the lake if necessary…New MX1825 just got my first hour in tonight after many hours of rigging

danerikson
    Lyons, WI

Just got an email from Voyagaire Houseboats down on Crane Lake. They have open water and piers in on Crane. Half of Sand Point is open and Namakan is about the same as Kab is right now. Little rain and wind would take it out fast!

Dan

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

As of a hour ago (3pm) still ice at the Kab. visitors center. Ash River Center is wide open. Heard it’s good to Moose Bay but haven’t put the boat in yet.

38 degrees, rainy and windy right now. Tomorrow near 70 and sunny. Ice will be out on almost the whole lake.

Brian Hoffies

UPDATE: 4:30PM Friday.

Snowing!!!!!

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

Any idea how far west of Ash River Trail access before ice?

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Is it as depressing in person as the satalite picture? Not exactly rapid ice melting temps in the forecast after tommorow either, but a lot of rain though

Brian Hoffies

Going west you were stopped by ice 300 yards from the visitors center ramp. Everybody was in the mouth of the Ash River or just west of the visitors center in the bay.

Going east we got to Moose Bay, and part way into Hoist Bay. On the main line we got as far as Cemetary Island.

Weather was perfect today, at 6 am it was 29 degrees but warmed to near 70 with little wind, lots of sun burns around. Suppose to rain again all day Sunday, we will see.

Brian Hoffies

I’m certain ice will be totally gone by Monday. Use caution, the water is low!!

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

Brian,
    Thanks for the ice update.
    we usually arrive about 11AM Monday after opener to launch out of Ash River Trail ramp.
    Be heading to west from there.
    George

danerikson
    Lyons, WI

Checked the Pine Aire web cam at 10am and found 2 gentlemen inspecting the dock. Ice is on the move as the wind has started pushing 40-50 yards width from shore to the north. (I Think) Looks like open water out beyond that? Never seen ice move like this before. Impressive!

danerikson
    Lyons, WI

LOL!! Today the ice is flowing left to right ( south I think) by the Pine Aire web cam! Opposite direction from yesterday. Moving faster today though.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Looking encouraging up there. Weather channel says 2″ of rain in the last week, that ought to bring levels up quite a bit. Right now the weather man is showing pretty nice forecast for next week, low to mid 60’s, not much for rain, should be awesome. Packing a lot more long pants and sweatshirts this time, that should all but guarantee its warm enough I will wish I brought more shorts this year.

Now the weatherman just needs to be right.

fishkab
    NULL

Kab Anglers,

A big west wind this morning and the ice started moving and is now out. Kab is OPEN and ready for the fun to begin. Started moving at around 6 this morning and by early afternoon gone. Amazing thing to see. Now the fun begins.

Fishkab

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

Got to Kab about 10:30, Monday, the 12th
    Loaded the camping gear and headed towards Wolf from Ash River launch
    There was ice just west of Wolf Island.
    Set up camp in the rain.
    Went catching,
    Rod caught this awesome 28 inch 10 LB prespawn female in less than 10 feet of water near the bank.
    Males were in 30-35 feet of water on Monday and Tuesday
    14-16 feet later in the week
    Picked up a lot of jumbo perch in 20-28 feet all week.

danerikson
    Lyons, WI

Hey, thanks for the report!!
    Great to see some nice fish!! Were they after live bait or plastics??

Thanks
    Dan

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

mostly on lindy’s with rainbows
    a few on jigs tipped with rainbows
    mostly a really slow presentation
    really had to work for most of the fish.

cazador75

We got up there last Wednesday night and fished for 4 days. For the boat, we caught about 45 walleyes over the 17 inches, 4 nice 16 inch range keepers and a few smaller ones. All the big fish were in about 12 to 14 FOW. We tried in deeper water for keepers, but only found 10 to 12 inch walleyes and saugers. We did get some really nice perch in about 25 FOW too. Most were caught on lindy rigs with fatheads, some on rainbow. Also caught some on a jig and minnow too. The best one was a 26 incher that my Dad caught, while my best was 24 inches. All in all it was another good trip. I’m headed up there again June 14th with my wife and another couple.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.