River went out

• Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Got a report today that the Ash River ice went out yesterday. On a typical year the ice goes out of the lake (Kabetogama) 10 days later. We know this isn’t a typical year, we will see. I’m going up Saturday to take a look around.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Looking forward to hearing (hopefully) good news. Don’t think I’ll be biting my fingernails every day the week before we leave this year like I was last year.

Brian Hoffies

Got up there Saturday. The river is open but very, very low. They anticipated a big run off this spring and really dropped the water level. They better get the gates closed soon!

Other then that it was good to see the area after a long, long winter. I’m pretty sure the ice will go out by the opener especially if they are getting any of the rain we are getting.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Sounds good, I thought looking at the resorts webcam that the lake looked pretty low too. Though I remember last year it must have come up 6-10″ in the week we were there at least.

So the gateways report today too, his prediction was it would be out by the opener too. Will be interesting to see how/if a slightly closer to normal ice out affects the fishing compared to being there just days afterwards last year.

I’m hoping for it being so good I just forget to come home, however I don’t think my wife will let that happen.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Brian – is it ‘normal’ for the lake to be that low?? Was looking at the resorts web cam, its got to be close to 2′ low judging by the waterline in comparison to the dock. I see lots of rain in their forecast though so i imagine it can come up quite a bit in a hurry with a few days of rain

Brian Hoffies

I’ve seen it like this before. By June everthing will be normal.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

The water level is normal for this time of year. Actually its up 2 feet from its low. I’ll be up this wknd but I’m not counting on ice out on the lake…although I hope I’m wrong.

JP

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I see my thought once it started going is going to be wrong, I was guessing this friday or saturday. 2 years in a row having ice on the opener has got be be tough on the resorts.

On the plus side (for me) I don’t see any way in the forecast that it will still be there by the 17th.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Some interesting info…

This link shows the water levels for the reservoir, both the targets and the actual levels. It looks like they did pull it down below nominal early this spring just like Brian mentioned….but right now it is right at normal except for on Crane…which is usually a little higher in the spring because of the Vermillion freshet.

I’ll be up there for 5 wks this spring staying on Kab. I should have them dialed in by the time you get there Poo…although its typically not that hard to dial in the post spawn bite….or any bite on Kab for that matter.

Brian Hoffies

5 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats your secrete?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.