Getting Close and Getting Stir Crazy

• poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

So tomorrow is the 14 day mark till we will point the Silverado northward for Kabetogama and I’m going stir crazy with anticipation. This will be the first vacation of any kind for me since last May and the first fishing vacation for my wife and I together in 2 years and also for either of us since Wyatt was born 6 months ago. We are taking my parents with us, and my dads brand new 175 navigator and giving them an induction into ‘walleye wonderland’ (they’ve never fished for walleye before). I’ve been giving Wyatt ‘boat rides’ around the house, walking around the house bouncing like we are riding in waves, and he gets a big smile every time so I think he is going to like going out for a couple small ‘joy rides’ if we have good enough weather that my wife will let me take him in the boat.

With the late spring it hasn’t helped my anxiety and I wouldn’t be surprised if I’ve been put on some government watch-list for the amount of time I’ve spent looking at the area webcams up there, trying to will the ice away. I don’t think I’ve been this pumped for a trip ever, partly because it will be nice to have a whole week of no work and help, in the form of grandparents, to help with our son so my wife and I can relax, but also because its my opportunity to be a ‘guide’ and try and pass on what I’ve learned for early season fishing. The packing process is going to start this weekend so if anyone has some ‘must have’ suggestions that I may not already have on the list feel free to post them here.

The resort has wi-fi access so I’ll be sure to post reports/pictures here. Also, if anyone knows some good guides for Kabetogama, in the event I can’t get us on the fish, I’d gladly take suggestions on that also as I need to make this a good trip for my wife and parents and after my massive failure on Vermillion the last time my wife and I took a week long trip, if it takes a guide to help us be successful than I’m not going to be too stubborn to ask this time.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I’ve been giving Wyatt ‘boat rides’ around the house, walking around the house bouncing like we are riding in waves, and he gets a big smile every time so I think he is going to like going out for a couple small ‘joy rides’ if we have good enough weather that my wife will let me take him in the boat.

Till you get the PFD on him. My little guy hates it.

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

Sorry to hear vermilion gave you a hard time. It took me a few years to put patterns together on that lake but it can be phenomenal at times!

Hopefully you can get some good direction 1 way or the other and get some Walleye Gold!

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

My little guy has loved being in the boat from the first time I took him out, just remember to bring a big jug of 50 spf suntan lotion and use it generously and often on the little guy. A sunburnt kid could put a huge damper on things.

If he will wear them some sunglasses are a good idea too.

sounds like a great trip…have fun and may the ice be out for you!

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

what is the link for the webcams?
    We usually go to Kab for opener.
    If the lake is open,
    we expect to fish through Sat, 18th.
    whereabouts are you staying?

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Wayne Freemeyer is a guide, he is my neighbor. His cell # is 218-390-0862

Here are a couple of other guys who guide.

Tim Watson

(218)-875-2075

http://www.kabetogamaangling.com

Travis Carlson

(218) 875-2811

http://www.harmonybeachresort.com

All of the above are coast guard licensed.

Be sure to keep a life vest on the little guy at all times. Also my grandson loves to play in the live-well! Put some water in there and turn a couple of minnows loose and he will have a great time.

I’ll be talking to Wayne in the next day or two to find out the ice status up there. I’ll report back what I hear. I’m sure it will be ice free by the time you go.

If you decide to try on your own the best thing to do is stop at the “Big Walleye” on the way in. They will have the currant bite info and area’s to try. They are very friendly there. Also let the boy ride the Walleye, great pictures and memories start right there!!

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Almost time, making it hard to concentrate on this work I need to get done before I can leave.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.