Ash river vs on the lake

• STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

Got a friend who’s heading to kab in a couple of weeks. He’s debating if he should stay up the river or on the lake. I’ve read some posts and it sounds like the river is nice. Any thoughts? Will he be driving far to fish that time of year, or can you fish near the river? Sounds like the river is a 20 minute boat ride to the lake from the resort on the river…Thanks in advance.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

What difference does it make?

honest_john
    Twin Cities, Minn.

I have stayed at places right on the lake and at Ash Trail Lodge at the “end” of the river. When you are right on the lake, you can have a lot of dificulties getting in and out of a resort’s harbor during big waves. The river is quite protected and allows you to sneak out onto the big lake during windy conditions. Staying on the lake gives you more of a feel of being in the wilderness. When you are staying on the river you drive by resorts and bars all the way to the lake. Several of the bars and restaurants will likely be closed as you get into October… IMO either location is great!

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

The poster who mentioned wind problems was spot on. If it’s blowing it can be a challenge to get in and out. Best thing about the river is when you hit the junction of Kab. & Nam. you can hit the lake with the least amount of wind if it’s really blowing.

Really not much more then 10 minutes from the Ash Trail Lodge (farthest one in) to the end of the no wake zone. Once you hit the end of that it’s a quick run across Sullivan’s Bay to the lake.

From Sunset resort up to Junction Bay on Nam. it takes me right around 1/2 hour with a 60hp. tiller. There are tons of places to fish much closer also.

Much of his choice will be based on the size of his boat.

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

Thanks for the input. He has a 620t Ranger, so wind is not a big issue. He harassed me for a couple days to post for him and before i could read the replys he booked a place on the lake… . So I guess he made his decision. Sounds like he’ll have fun. Thanks again.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

ya people get in a hurry to get up there. If fact I’m leaving in 10 minutes!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.