July fishing on Kab…………advice needed.

• dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Heading to Kab for the first time ever in mid to late July.

Should I have the spinner rods ready? Rigging or jigging
    rods? Trolling rods? Bring everything you got and then some?

Best colors/patterns on spinners or jigs? Goto trolling lures?

Thanks for your expertise!!

riverrookie
    Kasson, MN

A good jigging rod
    3/16, 1/4 & 5/16 oz jigs in these two colors
    red/wht/blu and black/gold/red
    found at the gateway store on hwy 53
    Rigging rod for lindy rigging with plain hook.
    fish will typically be on the reefs this time of year, never spent much time trolling cranks.
    I will be there June 30-July 7. PM after that if you want a report.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

If you are chasing Walleyes…Don’t be afraid to go down to 36-42 feet.

Dog

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Spinners. I will be there July 14-21

churley

derek are u camping or stayin @ a resort if so which one ill be up the same week and this will be our first trip up also we will be at deer horn resort we are gettin pertty excited been watchin posts on here as well as a few other sites to try and pick up some ideas hopein to see some info on crappies as wife and step daughter like pan fishin i mean i can slip bobber walleyes on reefs and stuff and they will be ok with that but hopein to get some big crappies for them also any way let me know where ur stayin maybe we can get together over some refreshiments

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I will be at lakeview resort. Just a few blocks south of the visitors center.

timmy

Quote:

Spinners. I will be there July 14-21

X10. Heavy bouncer and a spinner….put it in gear and start covering water…you’ll find em. It ain’t tough.

churley

timmy got any colors on the spinners.Crawlers or leaches or minnows im thinking about bringing a flat of crawlers with but dont wanna spend the cash if they are eatin leaches how about colors for cranks for pullin or casting .Lastly any advice on where and how to get on some crappies. i know i seem to have a lot oof questions but i sincerily appreciate any and all advice on how to fish kab .Also dandorn if you read this where will you be stayin and when will you be up ?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Hammered gold and hammered silver

timmy

Quote:

timmy got any colors on the spinners.Crawlers or leaches or minnows im thinking about bringing a flat of crawlers with but dont wanna spend the cash if they are eatin leaches how about colors for cranks for pullin or casting .Lastly any advice on where and how to get on some crappies. i know i seem to have a lot oof questions but i sincerily appreciate any and all advice on how to fish kab .Also dandorn if you read this where will you be stayin and when will you be up ?

Like Derek says below – hammered gold and silver are always a standby. I also pull a lot of yellow, orange, greens, and purples. Basically the lindy baitfish series colors. I tip my spinner rigs with a crawler about 95% of the time. Usually, I pinch the crawler off a little ways past the back hook, as I like the more compact package – I think I get fewer short bite offs this way. This time of year – I head to reefs and other deeper structure in the 20-30′ range and start covering water…….I won’t turn the boat around and repeat a pass unless I see quite a few on the finder. Keep moving and looking, and you WILL find them….. I rarely slow down and rig them, as I like the agressive bites I get on the spinners.

As far as crappies – never tried for them.

churley

ok we will be coming up interstate 35 through the cities im wondering how the roads from say cloquet on north after all the rain last week any info would be great well as a matter of fact any detours or closeings from mpls north would be great to have a heads up so i can plan acordingly thanks guys

stevem
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Just got back from Kab on Sunday. Roads are fine..little construction on 53 but no flood issues. Mayflies were thick but we managed fish. Hatch should be close to done soon. Good luck

churley

timmy have you any updated reports on kab? dutch boy how bout your input been on kab as of late .The boys are gettin jacked up about the trip any help from any and all would be great thanks

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Last I was up was over the 4th. They were catching in the mid 20′ range. Anywhere from 22 to 28 foot most days. We used Leeches but some guys were using crawlers. Keep in mind it was HOT there also, water temps were getting up there. We either had 0 wind or mid teens it seemed like. I don’t think you will have much trouble finding fish. If you are staying on Kab. check in with Phil at Gateway on your way in, he will know where the bite is.

Another thing is if you don’t know the lake pay attention to your maps and stay on well marked paths. Lots of guys trying to shoot between islands which can be a bad idea. We had high water, but they were drawing it down so I don’t know exactly what it’s like now.

Last, make sure your group has life jackets, license and all the safety gear required by law. You have the Park Service, Border Patrol & DNR monitoring the lakes, there is a good chance you will be spot checked.

Enjoy your trip, stay safe and have some fun!!

timmy

We were up late last week. Fishing was good pulling spinners and crawlers in 23-24′ on off shore reefs and island structure.

HYBES
    SE MN

Going up on the 21st.Harmony Beach.Was wondering what the water level is like? Have not been there in about 8 years. Last 2 times I was there I scared the #$%*! out of the wife in a big storm and huge rollers,we were camping on Moxies.The time before I hit a rock,ruined my tilt/trim on my new boat.Been through that narrows many times but my number was up.Wish they would mark more hazards. Was wondering if the old cabin stone fireplace is still standing on the tip of Spunge Island.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.