Kab next week, any suggestions?

• usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

Greetings, I know there are some frequent fliers to Lake Kabatogama. I am going up with my 6 yr old Son and Father in Law. Just wondeing if you have any vital insight on this lake you would be willing to share. And if anyone else is going to be up Wed (3 June) – Sun (7 Jun) would you be up for a meet and great / intel sharing during the stay.

We will be focusing on Walleye, but my father in law is an avid fly fisherman and would like to target some gills.

Cheers
    Kyle

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

All I have heard is that it has been slow this week. That may change with some warmer weather.
    Kab. is a big lake and it helps to know where you are staying and the size of boat / motor you are using. Hate to send you to the east end if you are staying on the west end and have a 14′ boat with a 9.9 motor.

usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

Good point Dutchboy, I am staying on the west end (La Bonty’s Point), I have a Tyee with a 115 so am pretty mobile.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Ok, must do trip is go to Kettle Falls Hotel for lunch. FIL will enjoy it and so will the kid. Nice boat ride, little guy can watch them portage boats into Rainy. Food is good, but bring a few extra bucks they aren’t cheap! Maybe eat lunch in the boat and then go up for a pop and look around.

I’d look at Pine Island, maybe check out Wolf also. To be honest there is so much water you should be able to locate the fish. Look for the boats and find similar structure as that.

If I find out more I will let you know.

Be sure to get a picture of your boy on the Giant Walleye in front of the Gateway Store.

I should add, stop in the Gateway and buy something. If Phil is around ask him where to go. He has a good handle on things up there.

timatkn
    MN

If you are staying on the west end try Tom Cod Bay and the little marshy island (you’ll see boats in fornt of it) in front of Tom Cod. THere was a good evening bite last year 6-9 PM in that area. Sometimes the River mouth produces work the bay right in front or further out where it starts to drop off.

If you troll the bays with cranks near by the river mouth towards Hack Saw that produces.

Cemetery Island, 3 sisters are hiut or miss for me usually but worth a try.

I also like all around Bittersweet Island.

Then try any area that looks good. Bays that are windswept all day produce in the evening well if they have emergent weeds as the shiners might be up in there spawning. Sometimes the best spots are new ones no one else is hitting.

There are many more areas to try but that is a good start. Have fun!

T

usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

Thanks guys, I can tell you that I am really looking forward to the time with my Son. Fishing, lunch, and all the good time at the campsite. So, thanks for all the suggestions!

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Was there sat thru tuesday this past week and we did struggle mightily to find consistent walleye. Managed to get some and caught a 25″ fish monday night, but with our short time there we moved over to concentrating on smallies to have fun catching fish instead of getting frustrated. Ended up catching more walleye doing this than when we were trying to catch walleye.
    First time in 4 trips there I’ve seen the lake lay that flat for that long, sounds like the wind picked up as soon as we left though.
    If you find any max raps while fishing feel free to send them back, lost 4 of them.

Attachments:
    1. 20150525_195858.jpg

2. 20150525_202931.jpg

Ron
    Victoria, mn

According to the DNR, no gills. Pumkinseeds, but never fished for them. Walleye, pike and smallies are the main targets. Fish deep (25-30 ft.) during the day and shallow in low light periods. Toss out a slip bobber at the campsite in the evening, leech or tail-hooked minnow.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

I’ll be up soon as well for the first time ever. I will be staying on the west end and any tips as for depths, baits, presentation(s), and general locations would be appreciated. I promise to take pictures and post. -)

Thanks.

3andadog

We just got back yesterday from Kab and the west end. I can say this was one of the best years ever.
    We limited out for 7 guys mostly saugers but lots of walleye too. No real pattern other than shallower than 10′. Mostly jig and a minnow, usually shinner but rainbows and flatheads worked well. Leeches also worked when we ran out of minnows. Jigs were white mostly or blue or a combo of those but also gold, black, pink, purple/white. I caught then on plain hooks and a split shot, steel blue or red, painted blue and pink. I caught my first walleye ever on a stick bait by casting to wind blown points in 2′ of water to about 9′ while fishing for northerns. Our boat limited out on northers just casting on Sat. You’ll find a lot of smallish fish with bigger ones mixed in. All smallies were released.
    Front of the rock pile in tom cod will produce at dusk. If you play the wind on the lake anywhere that bait fish are pushed to you’ll do well, just anchor there. With all the reports of deep fish I think a lot of people missed out an a great shallow water bite. I’m not a great fisherman but I do okay here.

BTW, the lake is almost full and heading to flood stage again. There is a lot of water heading there. The creeks are running full on 53. The lake rose at least 1.5′ in 9 days.

usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

Thanks all, great suggestions and I hope we have as productive a time as 3andadog had. Will post on our return!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.